Installing wood stove in this chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blind Hog

Dec 24, 2018
Redneck Rivera, FL
Hi - I just bought a new house and would like to install a wood burning stove. On the screened in porch is a built in grill/smoker and I'd like to go through the interior wall into this chimney for the wood stove. Can the stove chimney exit into the old chimney or does it need to go up as well? I'm a complete newbie with this so looking for any and all opinions on the feasibility. I do plan on pulling the old cast iron grill out and installing my big green egg in the space, so the first question is can I utilize the chimney for both? When I install the BGE I will also address the cracks on the front above the opening.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_2166.PNG IMG_1884.jpg IMG_1885.jpg IMG_1887.jpg

Hi - I just bought a new house and would like to install a wood burning stove. On the screened in porch is a built in grill/smoker and I'd like to go through the interior wall into this chimney for the wood stove. Can the stove chimney exit into the old chimney or does it need to go up as well? I'm a complete newbie with this so looking for any and all opinions on the feasibility. I do plan on pulling the old cast iron grill out and installing my big green egg in the space, so the first question is can I utilize the chimney for both? When I install the BGE I will also address the cracks on the front above the opening.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 236753 View attachment 236754 View attachment 236755 View attachment 236756
Yes if it is done properly you could run a stove through that chimney. But it will need an insulated liner. But if you are doing that how do you propose venting your big green egg? I am also pretty sure the instructions for them say you cant use them indoors.

You can not vent the stove and the egg into the same liner.

The installation of the stove through the wall and into the outside chimney would need to be more thoroughly examined to determine what the framing and masonry specs are in the area you plan to go through the wall. You can't just punch a hole in the wall of the room and run the pipe through into the brick chimney.

Yes if it is done properly you could run a stove through that chimney. But it will need an insulated liner. But if you are doing that how do you propose venting your big green egg? I am also pretty sure the instructions for them say you cant use them indoors.

My original thought, and I have no idea if it can be done, but was for the pipe to come through the wall into the chimney and then up (have no idea how far it needs to be routed up). Doing this would be a pipe going up the chimney and plenty of room for smoke from the green egg to go up as well. The barbecue grill is on a screened in porch so venting should not be an issue.

You can not vent the stove and the egg into the same liner.

The installation of the stove through the wall and into the outside chimney would need to be more thoroughly examined to determine what the framing and masonry specs are in the area you plan to go through the wall. You can't just punch a hole in the wall of the room and run the pipe through into the brick chimney.

Thank you - that is what I was wondering. I would have a contractor do the work to install the chimney pipe through the wall and into the chimney, but at this point I'm just conceptually curious if I could make it work and utilize the same chimney for both the stove and the BGE. If the stove pipe ran up the chimney all the way to the top would they be able to share the chimney at that point? Sorry if my questions are basic.

Why not leave the BGE outdoors on the patio? They do not need a lot of babysitting.

I can't believe that new a house has unlined (no clay liner) chimney. That would not meet any code that I'm aware of. As was said would need to install a insulated liner all the way through it. Wow! That looks like 18th century chimney construction in a 1980's house. Just have to say.

I can't believe that new a house has unlined (no clay liner) chimney. That would not meet any code that I'm aware of. As was said would need to install a insulated liner all the way through it. Wow! That looks like 18th century chimney construction in a 1980's house. Just have to say.

The house and the chimney were built in 1964 and is one of the very unique characters of the property but is on the water so that is what really counts!

Just so I am clear, an insulated liner all the way through, I am assuming means through the wall. Does it need to be an insulated liner all the way up the chimney as well?

Bad LP - that is a thought as well, but I have to do something with the old built in grill so installing my egg there would be a very unique feature of the house. and I think it would look pretty cool in it's own little recessed spot!

Thank you - that is what I was wondering. I would have a contractor do the work to install the chimney pipe through the wall and into the chimney, but at this point I'm just conceptually curious if I could make it work and utilize the same chimney for both the stove and the BGE. If the stove pipe ran up the chimney all the way to the top would they be able to share the chimney at that point? Sorry if my questions are basic.
You can not (to code) vent something around the outside of the stainless steel liner while the stove vents inside the stainless liner. If for no other reason, and there are other reasons, because the top of the chimney would be sealed off with a plate to secure the stainless liner. If you use the chimney to vent something inside the house it should be sealed at the bottom to prevent someone from trying to do the same thing you're considering should you sell the house some day and the new owner get such an idea.

The house and the chimney were built in 1964 and is one of the very unique characters of the property but is on the water so that is what really counts!

Just so I am clear, an insulated liner all the way through, I am assuming means through the wall. Does it need to be an insulated liner all the way up the chimney as well?

Bad LP - that is a thought as well, but I have to do something with the old built in grill so installing my egg there would be a very unique feature of the house. and I think it would look pretty cool in it's own little recessed spot!
Yes a full insulated liner all the way up and out the top. Sealed at the top and bottom

Just to be clear, it appears that is an outdoor grill/smoker with a chimney and not a fireplace? It looks like it was not built with hot flue gases in mind, particularly with no tile liner and it is surrounded by combustibles on all sides where it comes through the roof, twice.

Reactions: blacktail
Just to be clear, it appears that is an outdoor grill/smoker with a chimney and not a fireplace? It looks like it was not built with hot flue gases in mind, particularly with no tile liner and it is surrounded by combustibles on all sides where it comes through the roof, twice.
Yes which is why it needs an insulated liner. And it should have had a tile liner regardless. The exhaust from a grill can still be hot.

Since we don't know the dimensions, that chimney could be large enough to fit two liners.

Since we don't know the dimensions, that chimney could be large enough to fit two liners.
Not with one of them being large enough to vent a grill that would not be directly attached.

I'll bet you could figure out a way on a weeks vacation in Florida. One liner for an inside stove and one for an outdoor brick oven. This one needs you.

Would a vent hood over the BGE with an exhaust fan in it be considered venting into a chimney?? Wouldn't that be using the liner as an exhaust vent, and not a chimney flue? The amount of dilution air should keep it plenty cool.

Reactions: Slocum
I'll bet you could figure out a way on a weeks vacation in Florida. One liner for an inside stove and one for an outdoor brick oven. This one needs you.
Yes I have run 2 liners through one chimney many times. But there just isn't enough volume there to have a 6" and one large enough to natual vent a grill.

Would a vent hood over the BGE with an exhaust fan in it be considered venting into a chimney?? Wouldn't that be using the liner as an exhaust vent, and not a chimney flue? The amount of dilution air should keep it plenty cool.
Yes using a fan could work if run through it's own liner. But the bge instructions say only for interior use in commercial applications with proper venting and fire suppression systems.

thanks all for the replies! I really appreciate it - just not many sources of fireplace knowledge here in the Florida panhandle.

I guess now I’ll go back to my original plane of just putting my BGE in the existing grill space. It doesn’t produce a lot of smoke when grilling so I’ll see how it goes.

thanks all for the replies! I really appreciate it - just not many sources of fireplace knowledge here in the Florida panhandle.

I guess now I’ll go back to my original plane of just putting my BGE in the existing grill space. It doesn’t produce a lot of smoke when grilling so I’ll see how it goes.
Do you have the fire suppression system required to use your bge inside?

Get 3 quotes from professional sweeps/masons who can do it correctly.

Ask for a written quote and for them to include a full scope of work. You definitely do not want chuck with a truck doing this.

It’s not going to be cheap.

Freestanding stoves and all kits are $1000-$5000 not including labor for install.

This is in addition to mason work.... which could be into the thousands.

I had one guy who looked at my chimney and said it needed to be lined. He quoted me $2300 just to line the chimney with a stainless steel liner!

Get many quotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get 3 quotes from professional sweeps/masons who can do it correctly.

Ask for a written quote and for them to include a full scope of work. You definitely do not want chuck with a truck doing this.

It’s not going to be cheap.

Freestanding stoves and all kits are $1000-$5000 not including labor for install.

This is in addition to mason work.... which could be into the thousands.

I had one guy who looked at my chimney and said it needed to be lined. He quoted me $2300 just to line the chimney with a stainless steel liner!

Get many quotes.

2300 isnt out of line for lots of the liners we do.

2300 isnt out of line for lots of the liners we do.

This was just a drop in 25’long liner. Cut a hole in the damper and... that’s it. AND use my existing cap.

Cleaning was extra $200.

His BBB rating was a B-

Not saying it’s out of line... but it sounded high.