Insulate block-off plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
I've already stuffed Roxul tight around the liner and the smoke shelf, so when I add my block-off plate, I can either just use a sheet of steel tight to the lintel, or I can add a layer of Roxul (3 inches thick) and have the plate 3 inches closer to the top of the stove with a right angle bend in the front to cover the insulation. Should I bother with the layer of insulation above the plate since I already have the smoke shelf stuffed?

Personally I would place the block-off plate as low as possible and fully insulate from the plate up.

Reactions: quotejso
Personally I would place the block-off plate as low as possible and fully insulate from the plate up.
How do you insulate on the topside of the plate if you only have access to the fireplace from the underside?

Pack the damper area around the liner with roxul insulation before installing the block-off plate

Pack the damper area around the liner with roxul insulation before installing the block-off plate

Yup- Roxul is fairly stiff and can suppott itself pretty well. In my case I filled as much as I could, placed the last layer on the plate then pushed it into place and fastened.

Status
Not open for further replies.