1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Insulate box with roxul

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by hamsey, Feb 20, 2014.

1. hamsey

hamsey Member

Loc:
    CT
    We have a Regency Hampton in the room above the garage. It has been installed for a few years now. After reading about insulating wood inserts with roxul I am wondering about doing the same with the gas. Before going though the hassle ( I can get to the back of the unit through a small door) would it be worth it? Anything I can do to increase the efficiency I am will to do.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    What model do you have? Is it a free-standing stove?
  3. hamsey

hamsey Member

Loc:
    CT
    No, it is a gas insert. It's the Hampton but it is not listed on the website anymore. It has been installed 5 maybe 6 years now. Looking to see if I can make it more efficient. It has struggled a few nights this winter keeping the room at 68
  4. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    With a gas insert, you can fill the damper area around & between the liners with unfaced fiberglass, you don't need Roxul. You should also have insulation under the cap plate up on top. I wouldn't pack the area around the insert if that's what you're thinking of...
  5. hamsey

hamsey Member

Loc:
    CT
    Exactly what I was thinking. Currently there is nothing but air. I will put some on the top of the unit. I have left over roxul from the wood insert install (8 batts). By cap plate do you mean block off plate? Do not have one installed. I will get some photos tonight on the install. Wide open behind and above the unit.
  6. CaptSpiff

CaptSpiff Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Is this gas insert installed in a masonary or a zero clearance FP?
    Are you thinking of placing insulation immediately on top of the insert, or above the damper seal-off plate?
  7. hamsey

hamsey Member

Loc:
    CT
    Capt,

Not installed in masonry or zc. Big open space behind the unit. I have post photos so you can see.

I was thinking about building a box behind and above the unit with cement board and insulating it with roxul. Right now there is a big air space behind the unit. I know I have to leave a 3" clearance above the unit. Either way I need to wait until we get warmer weather to do this.

I will try and get photos tonight.