Insulate box with roxul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamsey

Feeling the Heat
Jan 3, 2014
CT
We have a Regency Hampton in the room above the garage. It has been installed for a few years now. After reading about insulating wood inserts with roxul I am wondering about doing the same with the gas. Before going though the hassle ( I can get to the back of the unit through a small door) would it be worth it? Anything I can do to increase the efficiency I am will to do.

No, it is a gas insert. It's the Hampton but it is not listed on the website anymore. It has been installed 5 maybe 6 years now. Looking to see if I can make it more efficient. It has struggled a few nights this winter keeping the room at 68

With a gas insert, you can fill the damper area around & between the liners with unfaced fiberglass, you don't need Roxul. You should also have insulation under the cap plate up on top. I wouldn't pack the area around the insert if that's what you're thinking of...

Exactly what I was thinking. Currently there is nothing but air. I will put some on the top of the unit. I have left over roxul from the wood insert install (8 batts). By cap plate do you mean block off plate? Do not have one installed. I will get some photos tonight on the install. Wide open behind and above the unit.

Exactly what I was thinking. Currently there is nothing but air. I will put some on the top of the unit. I have left over roxul from the wood insert install (8 batts). By cap plate do you mean block off plate? Do not have one installed. I will get some photos tonight on the install. Wide open behind and above the unit.

Is this gas insert installed in a masonary or a zero clearance FP?
Are you thinking of placing insulation immediately on top of the insert, or above the damper seal-off plate?

Capt,

Not installed in masonry or zc. Big open space behind the unit. I have post photos so you can see.

I was thinking about building a box behind and above the unit with cement board and insulating it with roxul. Right now there is a big air space behind the unit. I know I have to leave a 3" clearance above the unit. Either way I need to wait until we get warmer weather to do this.

I will try and get photos tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.