Insulate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N_Blueth

Jan 19, 2014
Virginia
I'm rebuilding my hearth in perpetration for a new pellet insert. I noticed there's no insulation on the bottom of the bump out. Should I insulate this area? If so is there a certain type. Thanks.

Is that a masonry fireplace in which you want to put an insert in? How do you want to insulate the bottom of that? Could you maybe post a pic of the fireplace so it will be clear where you may want to add some insulation? Also, have you taken a look at the insert's manual?

Depends on what you currently have and the insert's requirements. What insert is this?

It a framed bump out that previously had a prefab. I'm putting in a harman pellet stove. I'm specifically talking about the area underneath the firebox.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused by the terms perhaps. An insert goes in an existing masonry or ZC fireplace, never in a wood framed enclosure. What specific Harman model are we talking about?

It's a framed bump out. I removed the builders grade prefab fireplace and will be installing a pellet insert using a zc box. Should I insulate the bottom of the firebox, which is the same as the bottom of the bump out?

Yes definitely insulate the bottom of the chase if it is not currently insulated. Any part of that chase that is exposed to the exterior of the structure should be insulated at least to the same degree as the remaining exterior walls of the home. Seal any gaps with foam or caulking to stop air infiltration, taking time to do this will pay dividends in the long run.

Is it better to use roxul (stone wool) or regular fiberglass insulation? I know the ZC provides fire protection but...

It would be fine to use roxul as long as it meets or exceeds the R value of the rest of the building envelope and a vapor barrier is installed. I wouldn't be hesitant to use fiberglass though, as long as it is installed to meet the clearances of the ZC box going in.

Status
Not open for further replies.