insulated door handle cover? silicone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TroySmith80

Feb 11, 2019
Missouri
I have a Esse Ironheart wood cookstove. I keep getting tired of grabbing a hot pad to open the door handle, and then i burn (nearly) my fingers on the handle. There must be a better way!

I was thinking of all the new silicone products made to resist heat, like the hotpads, oven mitts, even handle covers for cast iron cookware. Are there any such covers for wood stove door handles? Do most of you not have a need for such? Is there some other solution?

I don't have a lot of wood stove experience but it seems like it's not uncommon for door handles to become too hot to safely touch.

Many stoves have wire spring handles to quickly dissipate the heat.

My Morso has a plastic handle, I think it is some kind of bakelite, it gets warm but never hot even if the rest of the door is 400 to 500f. Quite amazing and user friendly.

Your stove appears to have small handles to avoid interfering with each other or each door , get a pair of welding gloves , or fabricate a tool such as a 3 point fork

I think the small handle is the issue too. Welders gloves, or even insulated gloves marketed to firefighters would be my answer.

Many Jotuls have a wooden knob on the handle.

That said . . . I believe the answer is a cheap pair of welder's gloves found at most any hardware store.

Last edited:
I have a Esse Ironheart wood cookstove. I keep getting tired of grabbing a hot pad to open the door handle, and then i burn (nearly) my fingers on the handle. There must be a better way!

I was thinking of all the new silicone products made to resist heat, like the hotpads, oven mitts, even handle covers for cast iron cookware. Are there any such covers for wood stove door handles? Do most of you not have a need for such? Is there some other solution?

I don't have a lot of wood stove experience but it seems like it's not uncommon for door handles to become too hot to safely touch.
1’ Long piece of pvc 3/4” or whatever fits . That will get your hand away from heat and avoid accidental over torquing

Welding gloves. I’d avoid pvc. When pvc gets too hot lots of toxic crap comes out.

Last edited:
It's a short stubby handle. Anything large might interfere with the oven door opening. A glove is best, same for the oven door.

There is a key available for working the doors. Have you looked into this, and would it be useful?

Attachments

• insulated door handle cover? silicone?
    Screenshot_2019-02-13-18-56-02~2.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 266
Is this what we are talking about?

insulated door handle cover? silicone?

That does look like it would get hot.

A quick-and-dirty answer would be to glop on a coat of black high temp RTV silicone. You can always peel it off again. A lot of those products are rated in the 600°+ range.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a key available for working the doors. Have you looked into this, and would it be useful?
Nice find Sawset.

oh wow, thanks for all the responses. I thought i'd get email notifications so i haven't been checking... but i did not get any emails.

Sure gloves would work, but that'd be even more of a hassle than the oven mitt / hot pad.

Yeah, i suppose i should just try some silicone or high temp RTV type. It'll be ugly though. I was just wondering if any companies have been making a nice, refined product molded to fit the door handles of their stoves. Seems like it might be a nice thing. But it seems that nobody is doing it. Could be a business opportunity perhaps.

I do have that 'key' hanging on the side of the stove. I use it sometimes. It too is a bit of a hassle though, and it does not provide a solid hold on the door, it's a bit awkward to use.

Using the key or a hotpad is not that bad, most people would probably never give it a second thought. I however am one of those annoyed and annoying type of people who wants everything to be just so. I'm often modifying this or changing that, making something for the other, so that everything works just how i want it to.

If it were me, I think I would look into getting some custom handles then. Looking up "stove handles" brings up handles from many manufacturers. Determine an exact size, send a few email inquiries, maybe you can get an exact fit that functions just right.