Insulated SS Liner through a 8" ZC flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtp10181

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Marshall, WI
Ok so there is some discussion going on at work about insulating the liner when doing a wood insert into a ZC box with a 1700 deg listed flue. Reading the Quad manuals they want the liner to meet UL1777 unless the old flue is already tested to 2100 deg (UL 103 HT). Pretty much no prefab air cooled chimneys are tested to UL 103HT.

We were putting feelers out to see how others we getting an insulated liner down an 8" ZC flue. You have 6.25" OD SS flex + 1/2" insulation wrap you end up around 7.5" if you are lucky, not very easy to jam it down an 8" hole with snap ring flanges are other things poking out. Add an offset into the ZC flue and its near impossible to get an insulated liner down there.

The feedback we are getting from other contacts is that NO ONE else is even attempting to insulate the liners in ZC flues. One guy said something along the lines of, you are putting a SS flex liner down a 1700 deg rated chimney so if a local inspector is requiring insulation he does not have any common sense. Apparently his comments are as good as gold because he has been doing this for 30 years. Well I have been doing this for 3 years and rather than building on tradition I have come to my own conclusions based off actual fact, not my own opinion or "common sense". I have also heard from a contact that deals with fire investigations that a lot of the wood insert claims he sees are from liners run down ZC chimneys that do not meet the code and/or listing.

Codes and listings don't always follow what most people would consider common sense, but they sure will help you get out of a lawsuit.

So... any and all feedback is welcome. I would like to hear from any other installers or DIY who have done this type of install.

jtp10181 said:
Ok so there is some discussion going on at work about insulating the liner when doing a wood insert into a ZC box with a 1700 deg listed flue. Reading the Quad manuals they want the liner to meet UL1777 unless the old flue is already tested to 2100 deg (UL 103 HT). Pretty much no prefab air cooled chimneys are tested to UL 103HT.

We were putting feelers out to see how others we getting an insulated liner down an 8" ZC flue. You have 6.25" OD SS flex + 1/2" insulation wrap you end up around 7.5" if you are lucky, not very easy to jam it down an 8" hole with snap ring flanges are other things poking out. Add an offset into the ZC flue and its near impossible to get an insulated liner down there.

The feedback we are getting from other contacts is that NO ONE else is even attempting to insulate the liners in ZC flues. One guy said something along the lines of, you are putting a SS flex liner down a 1700 deg rated chimney so if a local inspector is requiring insulation he does not have any common sense. Apparently his comments are as good as gold because he has been doing this for 30 years. Well I have been doing this for 3 years and rather than building on tradition I have come to my own conclusions based off actual fact, not my own opinion or "common sense". I have also heard from a contact that deals with fire investigations that a lot of the wood insert claims he sees are from liners run down ZC chimneys that do not meet the code and/or listing.

Codes and listings don't always follow what most people would consider common sense, but they sure will help you get out of a lawsuit.

So... any and all feedback is welcome. I would like to hear from any other installers or DIY who have done this type of install.

I would think it would be very difficult to sort this out. It seems that it would be similar to how certain inserts can only be installed in a given ZC fireplace, and that list of ZC fireplaces is usually listed in the instructions for the new wood insert.

Do you know what brand of ZC flue you are dealing with? Also, is it an air-cooled ZC flue (perhaps all of them are)?

I have read liner instructions that cover how to use the liner when relining a "factory built chimney", but they state that the chimney must already meet code requirements - so they are essentially just resizing the flue. I'm not sure if these instructions would infer that the relining would "upgrade" the flue to 2100*F rating.

These are the instructions that covered lining a factory built chimney. Give them a read and see what you think.

http://www.discountchimneysupply.com/f/UltraPro_Install.pdf

We put on a 1/4" foil-faced insulation wrap with a wire mesh to keep it in place
before we drop an SS liner into an 8" ZC...
We don't do it a lot, but we do it EVERY time we put an EPA rated
wood burner (stove, insert, or hearth heater),in front of or into a ZC box...
Haven't had any negative feedback from our install crews...

CleanBurnin, you have discovered a well avoided topic. The liners are tested to UL1777 which is for masonry relining. Most inserts that are "approved" for install into a ZC box and chimney will say if the chimney is not listed to UL 103HT the liner must meet UL1777. So... yeah...

Anyway, DAKSY, that's the only way we have found to get them down. Its still tough if there is an offset, and almost impossible if there are two. The liner also does not meet UL1777 with only 1/4" of insulation. Better than nothing, but not the way its supposed to be.

C'mon now. I know there has to be other people on here who install this stuff for a living.

People afraid to admit they just toss the SS liner down with nothing on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.