Insulating a fire stop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

green acres

Feb 2, 2009
grand island ny
I am installing a gas stove in my kitchen, [a Napoleon] and have boxed in the fire stop for the through wall install. I have a 9" by 10" boxed out opening, my pipe is 7 inch. Instructions say to install the metal wall flanges [inside and outside] after pipe is installed. So my question is can I put insulation around the pipe between the fire stop and pipe? It is the style that the center pipe is exhaust and outer pipe is cold air intake. Just seems to me I will be getting alot of cold transfer if I don't insulate. Thanks Dave

no you should not put any insulation around the flue it is considered conbustable, but you should a hi temprature silicone around the flur where it goes through the wall sheild or firestop .that is code in some areas ,but it will also stop any draft coming through.

You CANNOT insulate that area. You can wrap flat tape gasket around the venting where is passes thru the firestop to reduce the drafts...It's less messy than the RTV silicone & works just as well...

fireplace tech said:
no you should not put any insulation around the flue it is considered conbustable, but you should a hi temprature silicone around the flur where it goes through the wall sheild or firestop .that is code in some areas ,but it will also stop any draft coming through.

even non combustibe materials cannot go here(ceramic wool for example)

Status
Not open for further replies.