Insulating clay liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you insulate around clay liners with a cement/perlite mix?
yes but it still doesnt give you zero clearance from the outer masonry to combustibles and the clay is still very prone to cracking and leaking

Welcome to the forums. Can you describe the chimney setup in more detail... is it for a wood stove? How old are the clay tiles and are they in good shape?

In general, I think there is supposed to be air space between the outside of the clay liner and inside of the brick/block chimney, to allow for expansion/contraction of the tiles. I suppose loose perlite in that space might improve performance and/or safety to a small degree, and help stabilize the liner, but as mentioned, does not lower clearance requirements.

My understanding is the clay tile should not be mortared to the brick, as that may lead to more likely cracking. I'm not sure how the mortar/perlite mix would be considered in that regard. If I read your above post correctly, it sound like there is not much space between the liner and the brick anyway.

It's for a wood stove I think it would probably be best to just install the new liners and seal them with some high heat silicone. If that will work?

It's for a wood stove I think it would probably be best to just install the new liners and seal them with some high heat silicone. If that will work?
what type of new liner and where would you be sealing with silicone?

Normal recommendation would be to install a 6" insulated stainless steel liner, but we're missing a lot of info about the stove and goal here.
How tall is the chimney? What condition is it in? What stove?

It is a terracotta clay liners. The chimney is in good shape and it is a wood burning stove. Thought about using high temperatue silicone to seal between the liners or maybe furnace cement.

It is a terracotta clay liners. The chimney is in good shape and it is a wood burning stove. Thought about using high temperatue silicone to seal between the liners or maybe furnace cement.
It needs to be refractory cement. Have you had the rest of the chimney scanned? why are you replacing the top liners? Silicone absolutely will not work it is not rated for high enough temps. And furnace cement does not hold up to moisture well

Sorry for such a late reply but after inspecting the brick chimney really good I had to replace the whole thing. Been a pain but I'm getting slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.