Insulating my existing firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LYHTSPD

Apr 7, 2011
SW Indiana
I have seen several threads on the forums about insulating between the original steel firebox and a newer insert. Well, I have another level of questions on this.

My original firebox has the "Heatalator" vents in the front, so there is a thin sheet metal sleeve around the steel firebox to allow convection flow from the bottom vents to the top vents. I made up a little diagram to help out with some visuals.

The dark grey is the existing masonry work, the yellow is the sheet metal (about 1/16" thick), and the red is the 1/4" thick steel plate for the fire box. I was thinking about using Roxul in between the thick steel plate (red line) and thin sheet metal (yellow line). Would this do me any good, or would I be better off insulating directly between my insert and the red line (the thick steel)? I have read through the manual, and have not found anything that says I can't put the Roxul between the main fire box and the insert. I am hoping to get some advice on this.

Seems ok, but ask Quadrafire if they are ok with this first before proceeding. I'd hate to affect your warranty with bad advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.