Insulation around the Flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

griam01

Jan 22, 2016
Upper Panhandle, WV
We recently purchased a Regency CI2600 with a non insulated flue liner from a dealer. We had it installed by our contractor who had to rebuild our fireplace. He suggested that we put insulation around the flue where the liner goes up into the chimney. What kind of insulation do we need to purchase for this. I have read many threads here and see that many suggested that the flue liner should have already been insulated, but that is not what the dealer sold us, so I am trying to figure out our options. We have not had a wood insert before so we are unfamiliar on what to do. Thank you for your time.

I have an uninsulated liner in a masonry chimney.

From the bottom up and the top down, I insulated the liner with Roxul rock wool. Based on what I have read on this forum this is an often used way to insulate a liner. Roxul does not burn, so it is a safe material. I noticed a significant difference in the cleanliness of the liner during sweeping.

Of course you can always chose to pull the liner and put in an insulated one.

Thanks for the info. We have at least a 20 foot chimney, was it hard to stuff the rock wool around after the liner was in place?

I have an uninsulated liner in a masonry chimney.

From the bottom up and the top down, I insulated the liner with Roxul rock wool. Based on what I have read on this forum this is an often used way to insulate a liner. Roxul does not burn, so it is a safe material. I noticed a significant difference in the cleanliness of the liner during sweeping.

Of course you can always chose to pull the liner and put in an insulated one.
Using roxul like you did while it is safe and it improved your performance it does not meet code. To do it right the liner should be pulled and wrapped with liner insulation then a wire mesh and dropped back in. After that there should be a block off plate made in the throught of the damper to seal off drafts. The block off plate is not required by any codes but it will help allot with performance. The insulation on the liner is almost always required to meet code.

Using roxul like you did while it is safe and it improved your performance it does not meet code. To do it right the liner should be pulled and wrapped with liner insulation then a wire mesh and dropped back in. After that there should be a block off plate made in the throught of the damper to seal off drafts. The block off plate is not required by any codes but it will help allot with performance. The insulation on the liner is almost always required to meet code.

I am aware it does not meet code. You are absolutely correct. I am thinking about pulling the liner. I do have a block off plate which is filled with Roxul on top.

I am aware it does not meet code. You are absolutely correct. I am thinking about pulling the liner. I do have a block off plate which is filled with Roxul on top.
Yeah like i said the material it self will work fine but it has not been tested to do that job so it does not meet code. If you do pull it you dont have to replace it just wrap it and drop it back in.

Is it code to have a block off plate? I am concerned the contractor is not doing things properly at this point and wanted to check. I know there is not a block off plate there now. He removed the flue and then inserted the liner up the chimney and attached it to the existing top of the chimney. The bottom connects directly to the insert. I welcome any advice. Thank you!

Is it code to have a block off plate? I am concerned the contractor is not doing things properly at this point and wanted to check. I know there is not a block off plate there now. He removed the flue and then inserted the liner up the chimney and attached it to the existing top of the chimney. The bottom connects directly to the insert. I welcome any advice. Thank you!
As bholler stated earlier, not code but recommended. See entry #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.