Insulation behind block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
Before I seal up the plate I want to add a bit of insulation. At some point this winter I want to insulate that whole space around the liner, but for now just this. I need something I can walk into Lowe's and buy today. What can I put there?

You can use rock wool or rocsol, not sure what they call it down your way.

Product name is Roxul. They may not have it in stock, but should be able to get it in pretty quick.

Can I buy that at Lowe's/HD/Tractor supply?

If they don't have Roxul brand ask for mineral wool insulation.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Can I buy that at Lowe's/HD/Tractor supply?
Yes, Lowes and HD. I think some Lowes stores actually keep it in stock. You could call and check.

Just saw this and had a question -

I've been reading this forum for a while (so I know most people on this forum are top-notch in their advice & suggestions), but I only joined last night after I ran into an install road block on my stove insert....

But anyway, my question here is with regard to the current thread on insulation....

I started thinking about the idea of insulation to help improve performance, but the sales associates at my dealer told me that insulation was not necessary because the chimney I was installing my stove into is an internal masonry chimney (stays warmer, better draft, etc)...

However, after removing damper plate and feeding the flexible liner through during the install, (of course I knew this would happen ahead of time, but didn't think to take action on it) I saw the large opening from the where the damper plate used to be on either side of my liner pipe. I said to myself..."Well gee, that's a large open space going up the chimney" and started thinking about the insulation options.

I read somewhere that I can fashion a piece of cement board around the flue liner to and rest on top of my damper edge to block off the opening, so I will attempt this, but would it also make sense to stuff some Roxul above the cement board to keep more heat in?

And I just want to double check...it is totally safe to use Roxul (unfaced, right?) up the chimney like that? I know it's non-combustible to about 2200 degrees, but my wife will kill me if I don't get a definite answer!

Any thoughts comments on this would be much appreciated.

Have been using fireplaces for years, but this is our first stove!

Thanks,
Eric

The Roxul is fine. It doesn't burn at 2200 degrees, that is where is starts to get soft. It is what I use at the top and bottom of liners. In direct contact with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.