Insulation For Outside Air Intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdc

Sep 30, 2012
Whitehorse, Yukon
I've just finished installing our new Blaze King Princess and have had 5 fires so far. Today's was the first with sub -20 (celsius) temperatures and I've noticed the fresh air intake pipe (flexible aluminum tube) is sweating with condensation.

My concern is that this will drip and cause mold or water damage in vulnerable surfaces - especially in the wall which it passes through. I want to insulate the intake pipe.

The stove is in the basement and because the air intake pipe runs up the wall behind the stove (within the clearance) it needs to be non combustible. Rubber or plastic sleeves are not OK.

Any ideas?

Pellet vent pipe?

I wrapped my OAK pipe with foil backed insulation (comes in a roll, 2" thick x 12 wide), wrapped the pipe and overlapped the insulation, then used foil HVAC tape to keep it put. Seems to be working.....

Reactions: PapaDave
What kind of humidity do you have near your hot stove? I would be more worried about where all this water is coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.