1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Insulation For Outside Air Intake

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jdc, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jdc

jdc New Member

Loc:
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    I've just finished installing our new Blaze King Princess and have had 5 fires so far. Today's was the first with sub -20 (celsius) temperatures and I've noticed the fresh air intake pipe (flexible aluminum tube) is sweating with condensation.

My concern is that this will drip and cause mold or water damage in vulnerable surfaces - especially in the wall which it passes through. I want to insulate the intake pipe.

The stove is in the basement and because the air intake pipe runs up the wall behind the stove (within the clearance) it needs to be non combustible. Rubber or plastic sleeves are not OK.

Any ideas?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Pellet vent pipe?
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I wrapped my OAK pipe with foil backed insulation (comes in a roll, 2" thick x 12 wide), wrapped the pipe and overlapped the insulation, then used foil HVAC tape to keep it put. Seems to be working.....
    PapaDave likes this.
  4. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    What kind of humidity do you have near your hot stove? I would be more worried about where all this water is coming from.