insulation question..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archer39

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2009
Pottstown PA
Currently i am in the process of refinishing the hardwood floor and trim in our stove room. After the removal of the trim it revealed just one of the many drafts in our old house. Below are a few pictures. The previous person just had some fiberglass insulation stuffed in the large cracks. What would be the best way about to go about sealing this up? Below this room i have access though the basement to the edge of the walls so my thinking was to tack 1" celotex (have a few 4x8 sheets) from the bottom to the edge of the wall and then from the top spray expanding foam insulation to fill the voids. If this in not a good idea by all means tell me and if there is a more effective way of going about it please let me know. Also, if the expanding foam is the way to go are there better types of it other than "Great Stuff" they sell at Home Depot?

Also, how effective would it be if i put fiberglass insulation in the rafters in the basement ceiling? The basement is unfinished with all exposed stone walls. It seem like last winter (first winter in the house) there was always cold drafts coming from the floor boards and the floor it self was always ice cold. I am trying to get the most bang for my buck and this is one of the areas that has absolutely no insulation. The other spot in the house that has no insulation is in the second story room directly above the stove room. This was the only room in the house that was not redone when the house was remodeled. At the least before the real cold gets here i plan on tearing the ceiling out and putting insulation in and add insulation to the walls.

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

looks like someone already used some expanding foam instead of repointing where mortar has fallen out.
Home Depot usually ( we have different size stores around here with slightly different inventories) several different cans of expanding foam now marked small crack / medium crack/ large crack to make it easier to buy the right expanding formulation.
The small crack cans are usually in the aisle easy to find - the others are sometimes over with regular insulation.
Should work fine between the wood and concrete wall.

Some people put a layer of copper wool if they think mice will chew through the insulation.

Some people insulate the floor - it always made more sense to me to make the effort to seal up the basement - so that the whole house isn't a chimney.
Cracks are sometimes easier to find on a very windy day with a candle or cigarette smoke.

One trick with large crack expanding foam is to only do 6 inches, skip 6 inches, do 6 inches and come back the next day and fill in the gaps. That way if you are filling near would the expansion doesn't break or bow a board and cause damage.

Fiberglass batting only slows down the wind. For the wind you need a better barrier.

Hi Archer,

I just noticed your post. I agree that expansion foam is the best solution for the gaps. There is an expansion foam insulation out there in a can that is made for doors and windows that is softer than the regular spray foam. The regular spray foam is easy to trim off excess when it is dry. Only use enough to fill down in the gaps as it will expand to several times its' volume.

When my kids were little, I always played on the floor with them and noticed it was colder down there. I put up 1/2" foam insulation board up between the joists in the basement. It made a huge difference. The only areas I did not put foam was around the furnace and water heater where there is a heat source. When I cut the panels to width to fit between the joists, I measured the widest point and used a chalk line to make the line. I then cut the line on a 45 degree angle blade pointing inwards so I would have a bevel edge all the way down. This way when the joist wandered in, I could just push the panel up snug and it would not need to be cut. I used sheetrock screws every foot or so and ceiling washers or finish washers to keep the screw from going through the foam. It was well worth it for me. Also at the end of the joists where they meet the rim joist that runs around the perimeter of the foundation, I rolled up some r-13 fiberglass insulation and stuffed it into the end over the top of the foundation. This helps with outside air penetration.

Incense sticks make a nice amount of smoke to show air leaks. A flashlight helps in dark corners. I am always looking for leaks to seal in this old house.

Jon

I went from zero floor insulation above a dirt floored crawlspace to the proper R-19 and it made a huge difference in the warmth of the floors. Very much worth it. Wasn't expensive either.

Likewise, I turned our vented crawlspace into an conditioned space. It has made a world of difference in comfort. The crawlspace now never gets below 60 °F.

Status
Not open for further replies.