Insulation Vapor barrier on Garn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
After reading Rick's post and others about overheating and steam I have a question. How do you handle the vapor barrier between the rear of the Garn and the outside cold wall? The manual says combustible materials must be at least 2" from the chimney. If there is not a vapor barrier, wouldn't the fiberglass become saturated at the outside wall due to condensation? Wouldn't this would cause problems with rotting as well as R-Values?

You should have an adequately sized metal heat shield (I prefer using a larger shield than is the minimum required by code as this is very cheap insurance) around the chimney where it passes through the wall (both on interior & exterior) just as you would have one in the ceiling & another in the roof if you had a vertical chimney. Your plastic vapor barrier overlaps slightly on the edge of the heat shield & continues on from there, use an approved seam tape or approved tube contained product to join the two together at the edge of the heat sheild. BTW fiberglass will not be approved for use against the chimney, you will need to use a rated fireproof insulation such as a Rocksul product or equivalent around the chimney penetration through the wall. Hope this helps.

Frozen Canuck said:
You should have an adequately sized metal heat shield (I prefer using a larger shield than is the minimum required by code as this is very cheap insurance) around the chimney where it passes through the wall (both on interior & exterior) just as you would have one in the ceiling & another in the roof if you had a vertical chimney. Your plastic vapor barrier overlaps slightly on the edge of the heat shield & continues on from there, use an approved seam tape or approved tube contained product to join the two together at the edge of the heat sheild. BTW fiberglass will not be approved for use against the chimney, you will need to use a rated fireproof insulation such as a Rocksul product or equivalent around the chimney penetration through the wall. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I will get tape tomorrow.
Direct contact with unfaced fiberglass on the Duravent chimney is approved by Garn. I was concerned so I checked with Duravent and they said Garn does its own testing to their specifications for UL and other approvals. In fact they said they do not approve a horizontal chimney and Garn had to get their own approval.

Yes, understood. I was refering to your local building code as a violation of that code will give your insurance company an instant out if there were to ever be a claim.

Frozen Canuck said:
Yes, understood. I was refering to your local building code as a violation of that code will give your insurance company an instant out if there were to ever be a claim.

Good point! My insurance company approved the installation as per Garn's installation manual. I will check with them again.

Frozen Canuck said:

Like anything dealing with the gov't, a great deal depends on the official involved, but most code officials, insurance companies, etc. are going to be satisfied by manufacturer's manuals - many codes are even written to say X is required unless something else is specified by the manufacturer... As a specific example, look at the NFPA clearance requirements for woodstoves - very large numbers UNLESS the manufacturer has certified the stove to a lower number, in which case the manufacturer's number rules...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Frozen Canuck said:

Like anything dealing with the gov't, a great deal depends on the official involved, but most code officials, insurance companies, etc. are going to be satisfied by manufacturer's manuals - many codes are even written to say X is required unless something else is specified by the manufacturer... As a specific example, look at the NFPA clearance requirements for woodstoves - very large numbers UNLESS the manufacturer has certified the stove to a lower number, in which case the manufacturer's number rules...

Gooserider

I was told by my agent that I was approved to install following Garn's installation manual. That is what I will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.