Insurance issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bfitz3

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2015
Northern Michigan
i was just notified by my insurer that I am to install non combustable material behind my stove.

The stove was professionall installed and inspected by the county. It meets or exceeds all requirements for proper installation.

With a proper installation of more material, I fear tile, etc will encroach on the required clearances making my setup non compliant with code and more dangerous. The hearth was sized front to back to minimize its footprint, so moving the stove forward really isn’t plausible.

Anyone else encounter this? Advice?

i was just notified by my insurer that I am to install non combustable material behind my stove.

The stove was professionall installed and inspected by the county. It meets or exceeds all requirements for proper installation.

With a proper installation of more material, I fear tile, etc will encroach on the required clearances making my setup non compliant with code and more dangerous. The hearth was sized front to back to minimize its footprint, so moving the stove forward really isn’t plausible.

Anyone else encounter this? Advice?
Well if the material is non combustible it would not encroach. And while yes they can require what ever they want even if it is above code if you show them you are compliant most times they will be ok with it.

Well if the material is non combustible it would not encroach. And while yes they can require what ever they want even if it is above code if you show them you are compliant most times they will be ok with it.
I'm a little confused on that... So if the manual says the stove clearance from the back of the stove to a combustible wall is 8" and the stove currently meets that, adding say a 3.5" layer of brick to the wall would close the air gap to the stove to 4.5", could that layer of brick act as a conductor of the radiant heat and create an issue with the combustible wall?

I'm a little confused on that... So if the manual says the stove clearance from the back of the stove to a combustible wall is 8" and the stove currently meets that, adding say a 3.5" layer of brick to the wall would close the air gap to the stove to 4.5", could that layer of brick act as a conductor of the radiant heat and create an issue with the combustible wall?
No the measurment is to the nearest combustible material. Noncombustibles inbetween dont matter unless the stove manufacturer allows for reductions due to sheilding

i've always interpreted it as the distance required is to combustibles is the same if it's 7 inches required then it can be 7 inches of air or 7 inches of solid brass as long as the 7 inches is met then its all that counts

i've always interpreted it as the distance required is to combustibles is the same if it's 7 inches required then it can be 7 inches of air or 7 inches of solid brass as long as the 7 inches is met then its all that counts
Yes exactly.

If the non combustible material is also a conductor of heat AND in contact with the combustible material, it does effectively reduce the clearance. A vented air space is needed to prevent conduction of heat.

If the non combustible material is also a conductor of heat AND in contact with the combustible material, it does effectively reduce the clearance. A vented air space is needed to prevent conduction of heat.
Not by code it isnt. But yes a solid mass of a higly conductive material touching both the stove and the combustible material would reduce clearances. But who it really going to do that?

Does the stove have the Woodstock supplied rear heat shield attached? If yes, is it documented on the invoice for the stove?

Stove and Pipe Shields:

Clearances can be reduced by attaching a UL approved heat shield and pipe shield. Woodstock Soapstone Company carries heat shields specifically designed for this stove. When using one or both of these shields, clearance is measured from the back of the shield to the combustible wall. The clearance behind the stove can be reduced to 7 inches. The clearance behind the pipe can be reduced to 6 inches.

Also, have you printed out the pages from the manual and the invoice to show them clearly how the clearances are specified? May also include a photograph of the rear heat shield on the stove?

WALL PROTECTION

The Model 209 Progress Hybrid stove has been tested to UL standards for clearances to combustible walls. The minimum clearances to unprotected walls are as follows:

Minimum clearances with no heat shields to unprotected combustible walls:
From the back-------------------36”
From the sides-------------------24”

Does the stove have the Woodstock supplied rear heat shield attached? If yes, is it documented on the invoice for the stove?

Stove and Pipe Shields:

Clearances can be reduced by attaching a UL approved heat shield and pipe shield. Woodstock Soapstone Company carries heat shields specifically designed for this stove. When using one or both of these shields, clearance is measured from the back of the shield to the combustible wall. The clearance behind the stove can be reduced to 7 inches. The clearance behind the pipe can be reduced to 6 inches.

Also, have you printed out the pages from the manual and the invoice to show them clearly how the clearances are specified? May also include a photograph of the rear heat shield on the stove?

WALL PROTECTION

The Model 209 Progress Hybrid stove has been tested to UL standards for clearances to combustible walls. The minimum clearances to unprotected walls are as follows:

Minimum clearances with no heat shields to unprotected combustible walls:
From the back-------------------36”
From the sides-------------------24”

It does have the heat shield and an extra 1.5-2 inches in back. They required big-picture photos showing the overall geometry along with a written description of clearances. I’m guessing someone in the bowels of the loss prevention department needed something to do and started pulling files of customers at random. Since my surround isn’t brick, it must be on the verge of bursting into flames!

Unfortunately, I’m working with a broker, so talking to the actual insurance company may be a hassle. Wish me luck!

It does have the heat shield and an extra 1.5-2 inches in back. They required big-picture photos showing the overall geometry along with a written description of clearances. I’m guessing someone in the bowels of the loss prevention department needed something to do and started pulling files of customers at random. Since my surround isn’t brick, it must be on the verge of bursting into flames!

Unfortunately, I’m working with a broker, so talking to the actual insurance company may be a hassle. Wish me luck!
Give your agent the info and have them dea l with it. That is their job.