My wife and I just returned from a trip that took us through rural Maine. While driving through a small town west of Bangor I saw 2 homes with a tripod on top of the chimney. Suspended from the tripod was a pulley and below that was a chimney brush. Evidently a cable went down the chimney and the brush could be pulled through the chimney without ever going outside or on the roof. I have never seen anything like this before. Wonder if the brush / cable get coated with creosote and make a bigger mess than it is worth? The chimneys were both in the center of the home at the peak of a very steep roof, so getting up there to sweep would be a pain. Yankee ingenuity?