Interesting hopper behavior

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slangtruth

Nov 13, 2011
Western MA
So, having read here that the Hardwood Heat pellets available at TSC were rebagged Hamer's Hot Ones, when they showed up at my local TSC I tried a few bags which seemed on warmer days to be pretty good. I jumped in and bought a ton, and found when it got colder they just didn't do what I wanted. I still had some Okies left (and will buy more, as I haven't found anything better). I've taken to throwing a bag of the HHs in and dumping a bag of Okies on top. The Okies are shorter, and they seem to magically work their way down past the HHs with auger action until the mix is about 50/50 by the time it gets near the end. The Okies are north of $290 here now and the HHs were $225, but I think the combo is better than the $255 AWPs I was buying earlier, and they definitely burn longer than straight Okies (which do burn hot but just disappear, at least in my stove). Point is, don't be afraid to play around, and consider that you may be able to use pellet geometry to your advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.