Interesting OAK and No OAK Observation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F4jock

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2014
Red Rock, PA
So today while checking the insulation around my insert to be sure I wasn't pulling in any room air or allowing any behind the insert I realized that as I had installed it I could cut my OAK in and out. Soooo, I did and found something interesting. At an outside temp of ten degrees f, in "Room Temp" maintaining sixty-nine to seventy degrees inside, with the OAK in the system, I AVERAGED a twenty degree INCREASE in stove temp both at the internal exchanger plates just above the firebox and inside the decorative grate where the hot air exits vs with the OAK out of the system. This data was taken over the course of six hours with an external temp variation of + two degrees f in that time. For each trial I let the stove stabilize for an hour after the change and measured over the two subsequent hours.

Making no claims. Interpret it as you wish.

Is this going to happen to me when I retire? lol, very interesting though

do you check the amount of pellets you took for the 2 test
Is there a difference

Interesting. Be nice to gather some airflow information to better understand the breathing differences - you could have had a temp swing because of more air, or because of less air. It's hard to say without more data.

do you check the amount of pellets you took for the 2 test
Is there a difference
I filled the hopper each time. Although I didn't see a difference IMO the test was too short to be conclusive. If I wanted to proceed more analytically I'd weigh them each time and fill to a predetermined mark.

thank you

Less available oxygen in the house than outside maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.