Interesting observation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
This site is addictive and will make you become a little anal in regards to how far you'll go for appeasement.Broke down and got an IR just to check my two stovetop thermometers,one a Rutland about 25$ the other a cheapo Homesaver. Checked them both at several times during the burn cycle the Rutland is off 100 degrees low side ,while the Homesaver is dead on both are placed in the required spot on the stovetop thought i'd share this.

Thanks for posting your observation. Makes me rethink relying on only my Rutland stove top thermometer!

Check your calibration on the Rutland. Make sure you are starting from room temp, or as near to it as you can tell on that scale. Mine was set too high, and I merely compressed the coil by pushing the needle down to zero, letting it spring back. Reverse that if it set too high. Not an exact adjustment, I grant you, but you are not baking a souffle either!

Oh...and this is funny" When I bought my thermo, the guy at the store made sure that I understood that the starting temperature should not read "zero." (Umm... yeah, got that.) He said that I'd be surprised how many people brought them back to the store with that complaint. I told him that he should view this as an entry level competency test...fail it and you should have your wood burner's license revoked!

Status
Not open for further replies.