1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Interesting report on US energy efficiency....

Post in 'The Green Room' started by woodgeek, Oct 12, 2013.

1. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Check out some energy efficiency stats from NRDC:

http://www.nrdc.org/media/2013/131008.asp

I learned that the US used less oil in 2013 than in 1973, despite a nearly 3X larger inflation-corrected GDP.

They also describe wind power as contributing 3.5% of all US electricity (more than 50% of US hydro, IIRC) rather than the <1% of primary energy input (which IMO makes wind look artificially bad due to the massive FF losses in thermal plants)

The full .pdf report is linked at the bottom.

Of course, it can (and should) be argued that one reason we managed some improvement is b/c we were so wasteful before. There are still plenty of efficiency steps out there that will save money and lives, before we even start to argue about things that cost money.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    stayfitz and Frozen Canuck like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    While some good strides are happening with increased fuel efficiency in the transportation sector, I wonder how much of the reduced oil consumption has simply been replaced by increased natural gas consumption?
    Frozen Canuck likes this.
  3. Frozen Canuck

Frozen Canuck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North central Alberta, Canada
    Yes every home that stops heating with oil & chooses an alternate fuel lessens oil consumption while increasing the consumption of the alternate. With increasing global population it's hard to imagine an overall reduction in consumption, a shift yes, a reduction not so much.
    jharkin likes this.
  4. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    I hear you, I'm sure some heating oil has been replaced by gas, but the report stats are for reduction in all oil (mostly transportation), US primary energy, and to a lesser extent recently, some reductions in total electricity use.
  5. Frozen Canuck

Frozen Canuck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North central Alberta, Canada
    No doubt a positive trend. I also believe there is a lot of low hanging fruit to be picked. Without a negative effect on employment GDP etc.