Interesting splitter design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will split anything nicely that a maul will, with one strike. Thats not why I have hydraulics. If all my wood split with one maul strike, I wouldn't bother with a hydaulic splitter.

Any thoughts on this? I could probably fabricate something similar. I just don't think it would handle knotty wood.
http://www.offgridquest.com/inspiration/418-firewood-splitter

It would make it quite a bit more complicated - but the weakest part of the design that I can see is that your left hand has to be so close to the splitter bit when it strikes. If I were working on a new design, I'd think about something that would hold the round in place and rotate the round under the splitter. Maybe even just a tire mounted on a turntable

I'd be worried about how it splits tougher stuff. I have a lot of maple, and that's hard enough with my maul.

I'm going to build my own hydraulic splitter that mounts on the 3-point of a tractor, and I've always wondered why not turn the splitter upside down and use the 3 point to raise and lower the splitter so I don't have to lift the rounds? just roll them under it. Maybe make it swivel so I could turn it rightside up for splitting a bunch of smaller pieces like normal. (I'm an engineer btw, so I think about this stuff a lot). I haven't seen anything like that out there, maybe someone else here has?

Reactions: Roundgunner
I saw that a month ago. Agree that if you have perfect wood, it would be great. No idea why but my trees can't seem to grow perfect wood.

I have just one question. How much tonnage would it take to crush the table/platform that he is using?
That will give you some idea of how much force this manual splitter is producing. Not much.

I'd be worried about how it splits tougher stuff. I have a lot of maple, and that's hard enough with my maul.

I'm going to build my own hydraulic splitter that mounts on the 3-point of a tractor, and I've always wondered why not turn the splitter upside down and use the 3 point to raise and lower the splitter so I don't have to lift the rounds? just roll them under it. Maybe make it swivel so I could turn it rightside up for splitting a bunch of smaller pieces like normal. (I'm an engineer btw, so I think about this stuff a lot). I haven't seen anything like that out there, maybe someone else here has?

I'm a tractor mechanic. I think that would be a great idea except any kind of manufacturer out there would scream safety hazard as you are working under hydraulic cylinders. I like the idea though...

Who would be working under a hydraulic cylinder in this design?

They have upside down splitters for bobcats. It's a great idea for the big stuff, but when you get to smaller sizes it would be a PITA to not be able to split in a normal mode.

Like this:
http://www.qualityweldingservice.co...g-splitters/logsplitter-25ton-180-degree.html

Here's a better one. Only one horsepower

Reactions: farmboy05
Status
Not open for further replies.