1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Interesting tidbit in BK sirocco manual

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by PapaDave, Nov 15, 2012.

1. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    After seeing BKVP's thread this morning about the new 30 model sirocco (coinkeedink?), I got the 20 manual and did a bit of reading.
    Page 21 in "operating instructions" says this re: wood.
    FUEL
    "Blaze King recommends using dry seasoned wood, split and stacked and protected from rain for at least 24 months with a moisture content of 13% or lower.
    It takes a great deal of energy to evaporate the moisture contained in green wood and that energy will not be heating your house. Green or wet wood will greatly increase creosote & combustor problems."

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That seems like writer overkill and a generalization for a stove built in pine country. Doug fir, lodgepole pine, alder are fine to burn after CSS for a year. You may be able to get 13% out in dry Walla Walla, but not on the west side of the Cascades.
  3. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    Someone has posted that before. Yeah, not going to happen for the vast majority of wood burners.

Although, the 13% moisture is probably wet basis. Moisture meters read dry basis. So, if you have a reading of 15%, you'd actually have 13% moisture on a wet basis. Still, that's gotta be real tough to get to.
  4. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    "Someone has posted that before." Guess I missed it.:(
    I agree, real tough to get to. I've been close.....if my moisture meter is correct.>> Re-split Oak.!!!
    My takeaway is that you should be burning dry wood in your stove. Oh, and listen to Dennis.;lol The 2nd and 3rd sentences are important.

Maybe I should go re-split a piece of pine from last fall to check MC. I bet it's well under 20%.