Interesting video from Canada.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not too disimilar to how I cold load, but I use a few balls of newspaper and a whole lot less kindling/bark. Kindling of some sort is necessary when burning doug fir. There is no peeling bark that's going to ignite quickly. The bark is thick and slow igniting. While he is talking I am saying, turn down the air!

I haven't watched any of his garden videos. Will check them out.

PS: the burn tubes are not catalytic.

Peeling off that bark would be rough on my hands but some of the pieces just fell off. He said it was spruce bark that has chemicals under the bark and wow it took off..I wonder if I could make a V out of the wood in my stove--sort of anyway for a different load but anyway nice video..thanks clancey

I end up with a lot of red oak bark. After 2-3 years of drying the bark just falls off. I'm trying some as a mulch in vegetable garden. With ev ery load of red oak I end up with a cart full of bark. It does good to shade out weeds in the garden but it takes a long time to disintegrate.
So I have to try and burn a lot of it.

I rake up chips around the splitter and wood pile and put them in buckets I also sweep the basement floor and hearth for wood debris and use that to start the fire along with my piece of paper.

Reactions: marty319
I would rather swing my axe or hatchet to make kindling. I enjoy my axes and look forward to splitting up some kindling when I have to.