Intermittent Pilot Ignition - retrofit? Possible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dali Lima

Oct 22, 2007
Central Connecticut
Hello, my mother-in-law has an LP gas insert in her fireplace that she uses maybe 20 times a year. The other 236 days she has it off and just the pilot light is running. This seems like a huge waste of energy and resources. Would it make sense to look into an Intermittent Pilot Ignition system? I don't know (off hand) the brand of the LP insert. Can these inserts (generally) be retrofitted with an IPI system? Would installing one even make sense?

Just curious, thanks!

tubbster said:
I seriously doubt that would be possible on a consumer level.

Agreed, IPI pilots are also less forgiving to wind than standing pilots, and depending on how well the appliance drafts at start up, the burner make choke on its own exhaust before it establishes a draft. Unless the mfg has tested and listed both systems - which is doubtful, you won't find a kit.

You may just want to teach her how to turn the pilot on and off. Just make sure she knows not to try and light the pilot for more than a few minutes before giving up for the night or taking the glass off.

Status
Not open for further replies.