1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Intermittent Pilot Ignition - retrofit? Possible?

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by The Dali Lima, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dali Lima

The Dali Lima New Member

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    Hello, my mother-in-law has an LP gas insert in her fireplace that she uses maybe 20 times a year. The other 236 days she has it off and just the pilot light is running. This seems like a huge waste of energy and resources. Would it make sense to look into an Intermittent Pilot Ignition system? I don't know (off hand) the brand of the LP insert. Can these inserts (generally) be retrofitted with an IPI system? Would installing one even make sense?

Just curious, thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tubbster

tubbster Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    I seriously doubt that would be possible on a consumer level.
  3. R&D Guy

R&D Guy New Member

Agreed, IPI pilots are also less forgiving to wind than standing pilots, and depending on how well the appliance drafts at start up, the burner make choke on its own exhaust before it establishes a draft. Unless the mfg has tested and listed both systems - which is doubtful, you won't find a kit.

You may just want to teach her how to turn the pilot on and off. Just make sure she knows not to try and light the pilot for more than a few minutes before giving up for the night or taking the glass off.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.