Intrepid Flexburn latch just broke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blue Ridge Lou

Nov 14, 2022
newyork1
New to stoves and somehow I was talked into buying the complex one! Been running the stove 4-8 hours/day for the past week. This (chilly) morning the kindling had settled nicely and I added a log and closed the doors, but the latch would not close, until I rotated it like the hands of a clock (giving away my age!) . Opened again out of curiosity and the outer part of the latch came off in my hand! The inner part was stuck but fell ino the fire. Everything has cooled down now, but it looks like a pin on the outer part of the latch is missing/broken because there is a corresponding hole in the part that goes through the door. Has ths ever happened anynoe? I had the stove for a week. I have been cleaning the creosote off the glass with ash daily and the latch area is a tricky corner.. Could this have contributed? Thanks to anyone out there. I am waiting for the dealer to repond as VC does not ship directly to consumers.

20221114_082304_resized.jpg 20221114_082455_resized.jpg

I see the set screw on the latch 1st picture is screwed out a bit. Did something break or did the Handel just fall off because the set screw came out?

Reactions: Blue Ridge Lou
I have the same stove and have not had this problem. To me it just looks like you'd line up the set screw and tighten it up. Is anything missing? You said that the inside fell off, is this the inside of the latch? Did you get it reattached?

Thank you EbS-P for your quick response! I believe the screw broke although I have yet to locate the broken end. Should it stick out like that? It's not lot of length compared to the hole on the shaft (other pic). Seems like a major pressure point when using the handle. Going by the parts diagram in the manual, this is the pin in the pawl assembly. I have ordered replacement parts #64, #65 and #66 via the dealer. Not holding my breath because they became very hands-off after purchase. I spoke with both VC and the distributor so next step is run to Lowes for a better space heather than the old one I have. Yep, the stove is the main heat source for my new (although 60+ yo house). One little screw, one week in. I was concerned about creosote and catalytic issues. This was a surprise. QC at VC is now another worry.

To me it just looks like you'd line up the set screw and tighten it up. Is anything missing? You said that the inside fell off, is this the inside of the latch? Did you get it reattached?
Thanks NewGuy!
To me it just looks like you'd line up the set screw and tighten it up. I would have thought the same but that screw does not have the length to match the hole in the shaft, so I suspect a snap off.
Is anything missing? Only the part that I think broke off.
You said that the inside fell off, is this the inside of the latch? Did you get it reattached? Yes, this was the entire inteior side of the latch, which fell into the fire. I fished it out, cooled down the fire and the rescued part, which fits no problem into the door. As you cansee, that's where the pinhole/screwhole is.

Update: the "screw" is actually a tapered pin. Attached image shows the broken part the guy at the hardware store was able to remove by heating with a blowtorch, then using a pliers to pull out. Under the broken part is a new tapered pin, I bought 2 sizes because the other half of the pin is still stuck in the latch shaft. Hoping a light drilling can push it out. Still waiting for stove dealer to get back with pricing on replacement parts.

20221114_141024_resized.jpg

On mine the set screw on the handle backs off occasionally for some reason. That's the only problem I've had with the latch.
Kevin - is that the screw on the inside that you adjust to ensure the latch is sealing the door properly?

The retailer called me yesterday evening. The distributor does not have the parts in stock and no estimate as to when they will be in stock! However, someone returned their VC stove to the store (it had an issue and I guess they are getting a refund), but the latches on all the VC stoves are the same, so they are sending me the latch from this stove.

While I am grateful for the latch, it's crazy the distributor doesn't have the parts for a universal latch in stock, and wondering why the stove was returned. Retailer says this is a first for him in 30 years.

That's a roll pin and generally there is a hole on either end of whatever it's in. You just use a pin punch and drive it out and drive a new one in.

If you want to enter into the world of excessive tool buying they also make roll pin punch sets that have a locating ball on the end of the punch.
No such thing as excessive tool buying! Eventually, most will serve their purpose, even if it's one time. I just bought a USA made set WITH the ball on the end! The price brought tears to my eyes, but there is a lifetime warranty. Thank you again Eman!

Kevin - is that the screw on the inside that you adjust to ensure the latch is sealing the door properly?

The retailer called me yesterday evening. The distributor does not have the parts in stock and no estimate as to when they will be in stock! However, someone returned their VC stove to the store (it had an issue and I guess they are getting a refund), but the latches on all the VC stoves are the same, so they are sending me the latch from this stove.

While I am grateful for the latch, it's crazy the distributor doesn't have the parts for a universal latch in stock, and wondering why the stove was returned. Retailer says this is a first for him in 30 years.
The set screw that works lose is on the inside the holds the roller unit on the shaft. I know when it's working loose when the handle goes past 90 degrees when closed. Just tighten back up and all good with that. Guess the expansion and contraction does that.

The set screw that works lose is on the inside the holds the roller unit on the shaft. I know when it's working loose when the handle goes past 90 degrees when closed. Just tighten back up and all good with that. Guess the expansion and contraction does that.
Thanks! I am suspicious of that screw, only bc I now mistrust everything on this stove.