Intrepid I Ash Pan Handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grizzly135

Apr 5, 2023
Montana
I was given this stove and evicted a mouse from the ash pan. But the ash pan seems to be missing the handle. The drawings are not clear what the handle looks like and how it fits. The one place that claims to have it (no photo) wants $185 for it. What does it look like? Why is it so expensive? How does it fit in the two holes (front and rear of pan)? I also need a griddle handle and they want $85 for that little part! Geez. Any info would be appreciated.

The two holes in the pan are for inserting the slicer knife, or poker through.

How handy are you fabricating your own handle? Do you have a bench grinder, or angle grinder and a vise? An old bottle opener modified slightly works. (They work for a make shift lid lifter on antique cook stoves too)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Slicer knife??? Never heard of that. Why does a wood stove need a slicer knife to remove an ash pan? What does it look like? I’m a blacksmith so if I can see what the thing looks like, I can easily make my own. If nobody has a picture, I guess I will just make my own ash pan extractor and call it the “Remains Remover”. I was planning on making my own griddle handle.

Moveable grates are called shaker, or rocker grates. Flat, solid grates are cleaned with a slicer knife. It is a long flat blade that cleans ash with a slicing motion across grate. Laid flat, sawing motion across grate. It goes into the front slot of ash pan, across and out the back slot. Shown on this parts diagram as #22.

European coal stoves have flat immovable grates with little flapper doors you slide the slicer through to clean coal ash. Works well, but leaks fine fly ash becoming airborne easily.

Thanks for the education. I’m not going to spend $100++ dollars for something like that when I can make something that will work out of $10 worth of steel. I’ll make something with a nice fancy handle. I already made a griddle handle out of a bit of steel and a maple knob on the end.