IR Sauna's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SE Iowa

Jan 17, 2008
SE Iowa
Does anyone know anything about IR sauna's?? I saw and went inside one at the last 2 farm shows and of course they claim all these health benefits. To be honest, I'm pessimestic about there health benefits but would like one to help relax in warmth during the winters, especially my wife. They didn't seem too expensive and plug into a 110 outlet. the rep said they only cost something like 20-30 cents per 30 minute session. Does anyone have one?

I would also be dubious about the claimed health benefits, but as long as one doesn't overdo, I doubt that they would do much harm... I would tend to put them in the same class of item as hot tubs - nice for comfort not absolutely essential...

Gooserider

Dunno about a true 'IR sauna' - there is some evidence deep red and possibly IR can help with tissue regeneration. (google) Of course, as usual, this fact is picked up on by all manner of snake oil salesmen and the internet is littered with hand held LED light tissue regeneration, baldness cures, infertility, muscle building, weight loss, etc.

<-- My 'IR sauna' is in my avatar. I can say, nothing feels quite as good as standing in front of the stove with a good roaring fire on a bitter cold winter day. I have often used the phrase "it seems like the heat almost shines 'through' you" That is the IR portion of the energy. Certainly does lift the spirits and make me feel revitalized - but as far as a 'clinical' benefit ??

There isn't a lot of research on IR saunas and their somewhat dubious health claims but there has been significant research on the positive health benefits of traditional saunas.

We used to sauna, (traditional) all the time at our old health club and have missed it a lot. I have had designs on finishing a wood-fired sauna for the past two years but haven't been able to find the right sauna stove for the right price. For me, there is no substitute for a traditional sauna. If you were interested in something like that I would recommend this site: Sweat: The Illustrated History of Saunas, Sweat Lodges and Roman Baths and The Sauna, a book which details some history of the sauna and shows how to build it using stacked cordwood masonry.

Well, I am certainly not a MD., however I have had a traditional sauna for about 10 years. I can tell you that I have not been to see my Doctor for a cold or flu in as long. There are definitely health benefits, however to what degree, is the question. I am in my "hotbox" about 5 times weekly and enjoy every minute of it, even in the Summer. Your skin is the largest organ on your body and after a sauna, it feels as smooth as a baby's! The IR saunas are used in rehab. facilities and day spas and I am sure work, however there is no comparison to a traditional Finnish Sauna and a ladle full of water over the rocks. I would recommend trying an IR sauna and a conventional for comparison.

Lammi66, is your wet sauna indoor or outdoors, commercial/home0built, gas/electric/wood? Also how much does it cost to run if elctric and or gas?

Iowa, it is an electric dry sauna, meaning not a steam bath, however we do throw water on the rocks for quick steam. It is a "home made" Sauna, however the person who helped me building it is very good at building Saunas. It is outside in our Poolhouse and is 5x7 w/8' ceiling, it should only have a 7' ceiling and I made the mistake on that. Reason being is less cubic feet of space to heat. My heater is an 8kw/33 amp single phase that will hold 50# of rock. The larger the rock capacity of any heater, the "softer" the heat. It heats up to 165 F. to 180 degrees in an hour depending on the outside air temperature. Cost of running it is minimal, I would say it adds $20. to $30. a month to my electric bill if I am in it 15-20 times monthly. It is built out of clear Western Red Cedar. PM me if you would like any more info.

We actually have an IR sauna. We learned about it after reading the book Detoxify or Die by Sherry Rogers, M.D. She specializes in environmental medicine, or things in the environment that can make you sick. Not only does she recommend the IR sauna, but she also cites studies in top tier peer reviewed medical journals that support their use.

Derwood,
So do they work and are the expensive to operate? Would you buy it again? How often do you use it in the long term?

Not expensive to operate, but that will depend on the size of the model and your kWH rates in your area.

When we first got ours, wife and I were heavy users, probably 5 times a week (up to an hour each time) for about a year.

Do I use it that much now? No, but I know I should.

Would I get another? Yes.

Is it right for everyone? No.

Are there any recommendations I would make?

1) Many 'reasonably' priced models are made overseas, especially CHINA. These may even look nice in a show room, but they certainly are not U.L. listed. There are some made in USA. These are U.L. listed.

2) Call around, you may find a health club that has one you can try before you buy. There was a health foods shop here in town that had one, and that's what we did.

3) Get a copy of the Detoxify or Die book because with heavy use, you can literally sweat yourself ill by depleting important minerals. There are specific recommendations in the book for what to take before and after each sauna for max health benefits.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.