IR thermometer - where to read from

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laxin213

Burning Hunk
Sep 18, 2014
Buffalo NY
I have a flush fit insert. I also have an IR and I'm wondering where to read from on the unit as I'm concerned about over firing. As I'm sitting in front of the insert now, aiming at the coal bed it reads 610. Aiming through the top vents at the only view I can get of the top reads 360. It's the front 2 inches of the top as seen through the vents.

So where should I be reading?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418691105.592476.jpg

My insert is not flush, there is a bit sticking out past the surround. I take my reading with an IR above the center of the door. Not on the door frame itself but on the stove just above center of door. I have found that this gives me a good indication of stove temp. Top of stove itself will read higher typically especially during a reload when its taking off. Not saying this is the best way or the correct way, just the way for my stove that I feel I get a good reading at and have the best results as far as backing off the primary air related to temperature. I attached a picture of my stove and where I take my typical reading I marked with a red circle. Don't mind Jasmine(Cat), she's doing what she does best in the winter in that picture. :). Stove is blazing in picture because I had reloaded stove, air was closed after picture was taken, wanted that dramatic effect when I took that picture last week.

Attachments

• Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.