Is 11 years too long

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jigger

Burning Hunk
Jan 1, 2014
Wareham,Ma.
I have an Englander PDVC 25 stove that was made in 2005. The stove has given me great service since I bought it. I've replaced 1 auger motor,1 convection motor and 1 exhaust motor in the past 15 years of service. All the motors made that tell tale screech that the bearings were done for. I replaced the combustion motor in 2009 because it had gone by. Last year I removed it and inspected the blower fins and there was some wear to them but not that much. But lately I've noticed a large build up of glowing pellets in the burn pot. I'm still getting an active flame however. Just wondering if the motor might be slowing down due to age and should be replaced.

Any air leak that lets air into the fire box that lets air in other than through the burn pot holes ... will reduce the air pull through the burn pot pellet pile and result in incomplete combustion.

Door gaskets for example.

Reactions: Ssyko
I replace the door gasket and replaced the glass window and seal at the same time. Which was a pain because the screws had rusted to the point I had to cut them off and drill them out and tap them. When I pulled the combustion motor out for inspection. I made certain that both the motor housing and the stove surface had ample amount of high temp sealant on them before I put it back together.
I just cleaned the stove out and relit it. I see small particles of glowing ash coming out of the burn pot. I'm wondering if as the motor warms up that it could be slowing down a little.I'll post a movie.

Looks fine to me other than it's filthy inside.

Bet you looked a little different 17,000 hrs ago. Everything in this stove is original except for what I mentioned. I don't waste a lot of time cleaning the glass only to have it get covered up again. This stove heats my mobile home and I use it 24/7 as my main heat source. I have an oil furnace hot air system. But very seldom do I use it. In 8 years I haven't burt 200 gallons.

Mine is a lot older than yours. Mine was purchased in 2000 and used from October through April every year. Never sused out the hours but it runs 24-7 unless it's getting cleaned. I actually wore one out before I bought this one. I've been roasting biofuel for many moons though mostly corn because corn is free for me.

Maybe I should have an hour meter on it like my farm tractors do.... I'm sure it would have rolled over more than once.

The only time mine is dirty is just before I clean it.

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up