is $150 a reasonable price for a chimney inspection?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcolgan

Hearth Supporter
Aug 1, 2009
North Eastern PA
Before I put out the money for a wood stove, I want to have the chimney inspected on our home. We just bought the house a year ago and while the home inspector said the chimney looks good, I wanted an expert opinion. My local wood stove store charges $150.00 for the inspection (not sure if that includes cleaning or not). Is this price reasonable?

Yes. If it includes them signing a condition certification.

Depends on what the inspection entails.

I would hope they would drop a closed circuit cam down and inspect the tiles all the way down.

Also they should at least inspect all accesible areas of the masonry to check for clearance problems (2" to combustibles ro interior chims, 1" for exterior... in WI anyway, PA could be different).

Should check all external brick work for any areas that need repair.

Basically they are probably hoping they can get you for the $150, and then for some repairs they will suggest. Unless the chimney is fairly new I'm sure they can find something worth fixing on it.

I think I paid $75 about 6 years ago for a chimney inspection for the prefab fireplace that came with our house. He looked up with a flashlight for about 10 seconds, then went on the roof for another 30 seconds. Suggested some expensive sheet metal work (which did need doing and was done as part of my Ultima install) and handed me the signed inspection sheet. I was not impressed, but in the two years after I burned maybe 10 cords before replacing it and figured the paperwork would be good for the insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.