Is 250$ - 300$ a fair install price (on the Missouri Oklahoma border)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Is 250$-300$ a fair price considering the location and the piping and hearth is already in place

• too high

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

harmon

Attachments

• 20131129_113034.jpg
    20131129_113034.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 122
I'm confused. Only one appliance is allowed per chimney. Why are two stoves being mentioned?

PS: Is the hearth up to the insulation requirement for the NC30?

I'm confused. Only one appliance is allowed per chimney. Why are two stoves being mentioned?
The Baker's Salute is a box for baking that mounts on your stove pipe and routes the stove exhaust around the box to heat it.

If the installer is a licensed contractor, the install price would include drive time, materials, vehicle cost, various insurances, labor pay (if there is an employee involved), among other costs that a customer doesn't immediately see.

On the other hand, if it is someone doing a "side job" or in a "handy man" position, you can be assured that there are probably no insurance costs and the overhead would be quite low as compared to that of the licensed contractor. There might be room to dicker...

If that's all that you have to do is set the stove and hook up the pipe, why not DIY?

Reactions: harmon
Thanks for the info on the Salute. I have never seen one in operation. I think you'll want to be very sure that the wood burned is totally dry and well seasoned to avoid creosote buildup issues.

The price for the install seems reasonable if it includes the piping, adapters and moving the stove into location. Figure 2 guys for 2-3 hr plus materials for work being done at peak season.

Is the hearth insulated to the 30NC spec?

Thanks for the info on the Salute. I have never seen one in operation. I think you'll want to be very sure that the wood burned is totally dry and well seasoned to avoid creosote buildup issues.

The price for the install seems reasonable if it includes the piping, adapters and moving the stove into location. Figure 2 guys for 2-3 hr plus materials for work being done at peak season.

By hearth I meant that stand the stove goes on. Ive not heard of the spec you're asking about begreen

I think that's dirt cheap.
iirc, that stove is 450 pounds

I wouldn't compare a wood stove to an appliance like a refrigerator in terms of delivery/set-up where they can squeeze 18/20 stops into a truck and a day.

That $300 also includes the free estimate to drive out and estimate parts needed to do the job ?
Truck full of parts?

If money is no object in regard to this price point that seems reasonable to me IF this is a pro that is insuring both their work and that the inspection will pass either pre or post a house fire(See Begreens posts)

If it is some handyman outfit that is just getting it in place and throwing the pipe on top that's a little steep IMO and really something you can DIY with some help here if that is even necessary. Give them 100 bones to help get that tank set on the hearth and do the rest yourself if you have no one to help with the heavy work for dinner and a beer.

*FYI - she is much easier to manipulate with the door, ash pan off and bricks out. Label the bricks so you know how/where they going back in.

again make sure clearances and tolerances meet code - you can find the code on the NC30 website
SEE BEGREENS POSTS

Page 8 of the manual has the hearth protection requirements. It needs to have at least an R=1.5 insulation value. The R value will be determined by the way the hearth was constructed. To reach R=1.5 it needs a layer of .5" micore or several layers of Durock NexGen under the tile.

Capture.JPG

Reactions: harmon

The piping is already there, I will have the stove in place. That is what prompted the question. It seems like an incredibly easy job for someone that knows what he is doing. I just dont feel confident doing it myself yet.

Page 8 of the manual has the hearth protection requirements. It needs to have at least an R=1.5 insulation value. The R value will be determined by the way the hearth was constructed. To reach R=1.5 it needs a layer of .5" micore or several layers of Durock NexGen under the tile.

View attachment 123413

this attachment is from englander, right? Where did you get it? I would like to see the whole thing

Status
Not open for further replies.