Is a balancing valve the same thing as a ball valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
Simple question: Is a balancing valve the same thing as a ball valve? I am talking about the "balancing valve" that the termovar calls for, would a regular old ball valve work?

How far from the termovar should it be installed? On another thread someone mentioned about having too close would cause a problem. Seems a lot of folks are having problems with their termovar's and I want to get mine setup right the first time, thanks.

Yes and no. Can a ball valve be used as a balancing valve?? Yes. A typical B&G;circuit setter 1/2"-2" is a ball valve with T&P;ports and a scale built in so you can use it as a positive shut off and go back to the setting you had the little stop set at. There are better styles out there. One would be using a thermo flow balancer from B&G;or a STV series style balancing valve from MACON as this has much more control over your settings. Remember a ball valve has only 90* of movement with most control after 45*-to closed, not a great way of throttling flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.