Is an Englander NC-30 the right size for my home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newguy777

Dec 4, 2014
I am thinking of buying an Englander NC-30 for my home. I live in a rancher that is 1300 square feet, but would be putting the stove in the basement. Actual living space in the basement is about 800 square feet. With the wood stove in the basement I will have an HVAC return directly above the stove to help distribute the heat throughout the house. Also the natural flow of heat will move directly up the straight stairwell leading into the kitchen and living room. I will also put some duct work in the ceiling at the top of the ceiling in the stairwell (along with an inline fan) to draw the heat upstairs quicker and to distribute the heat in the parts of the house where the hot air does not naturally move into. Do you think this will work. On a side note I was thinking of the Drolet Myriad also but it seems the only significant different is a larger ash pan and a lifetime warranty on the welding. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone

If the stove is going into finished, insulated space in the basement the 30-NC should do you a good job. Give it a shot with a small fan on the floor in the corner of the basement door blowing cooler air down the stairs before you try to get fancy with duct work and inline fans and stuff that have marginal success. The warm air will flow up the stairs to replace the cool air removed from upstairs.

Sounds like a workable plan to me. Note that code requires the HVAC return to be at least 10ft away from the stove.

If the stove is going into finished, insulated space in the basement the 30-NC should do you a good job. Give it a shot with a small fan on the floor in the corner of the basement door blowing cooler air down the stairs before you try to get fancy with duct work and inline fans and stuff that have marginal success. The warm air will flow up the stairs to replace the cool air removed from upstairs.
Thanks for the input guys. Any thoughts on whether or not to go with an Englander NC30 or the Drolet Myriad? I wonder if the Ash pan size is really a big deal or not. Everyone seems to like the Englander despite its small ash pan.

I have a similar setup. I heat 1700sqft from the finished basement with the nc30 with decent success. I have a floor fan blowing downstairs and heat rises nicely back up.

With that being said, I would put a stove on the main lvl in a heartbeat if I could. It's always a battle to make the main lvl toasty with a basement heat source.

Can't tell ya on the ash pan. I took the plug out and put a firebrick over it. The only thing the ash pan is ever used for is a dinner roll warmer.

It's good for keeping baked potatoes warm too.

Any thoughts on whether or not to go with an Englander NC30 or the Drolet Myriad?

Both have about the same size firebox and will heat a similar area. Check the threads here about both stoves and see which features, reviews etc. you like better.

Make sure to have enough dry wood with a moisture content of less than 20% or you will not be happy with either stove.

Can't tell ya on the ash pan. I took the plug out and put a firebrick over it. The only thing the ash pan is ever used for is a dinner roll warmer.
Is it a big deal not having or using an ash pan? How often do you have to clean it out? I've never had a wood stove before.

I never use the things. Easier just to scoop out a few scoops before reloading in the morning. Some of us swear by ash pans. Some of us swear at ash pans. A choice thing.

But for somebody that prefers an ash pan, the 30-NC ain't your stove. The thing is dinky.

I think using the ash pan creates more dust as you have to sweep the ash down the hole and into the pan.

Scooping the ash out (gently) with a shovel seems easier for me.

FYI: My 30 is in the basement and it does pretty good. (uninsulated walls too) 900 sqft.

Status
Not open for further replies.