1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Is black walnut safe?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by RedLab, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    Lots of things are toxic in the right quantities, and I wouldn't be surprised if Black Walnut is one of them. However, I doubt you will ever experience any toxicity problems by cutting, processing, and burning black walnut. The toxic dose is probably huge compared to the very small amount of exposure you'll get while making firewood. Don't eat too much at once.

I think it is a pretty decent firewood. I haven't noticed the fast off-gassing that Joful noted. There are plenty of straight Black Walnut growing around here, but lots of crooked ones too.
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Black Walnut fine saw/sanding dust is not necessarily toxic to the skin but can be irritating to the nose & throat with prolonged exposure.Didnt bother me 30 yrs ago but can be a nuisance some days now with coughing & sneezing,so I always wear respirator/dust mask even when working it outdoors.
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Likely a bigger issue in a cat stove, as I only have trouble when I shut down the air real tight. A full load of walnut really drives the cat into over-temp (think 1800F!), and will usually cause some back puffing, when I shut the air down tight. Again, just mix with other woods, and its fine. Since non-cats can't be shut down that tight, it's probably not an issue for them.
  4. teutonicking

teutonicking Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    I believe the smoke from black walnut turns people into zombies. Beware!
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Soylent Green is Black Walnut!!!!!
    IanDad and osagebow like this.
  6. ScotO

ScotO Guest

If you wanted to see some walnut dust, you should've been with me when we cut this 36" diameter down and milled it on the spot!! Had enough sawdust from the Woodmizer sawmill to fill several 55 gal. barrels......but the butt log DID kill three fuses on the log-lifter motor, just trying to load it onto the mill bed!!

Also got around two cord of firewood out of the tops from that tree......and lots and lots of boards!!

2012-03-26_18-28-18_437.jpg 2012-03-26_18-28-27_56.jpg

2012-03-26_18-53-22_934.jpg 2012-03-26_19-15-09_245.jpg
    Backwoods Savage and Thistle like this.
  7. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Veneer walnut 18" diameter and 12' long fetches $750-$1000 bucks around here at the mill. Nice boards there scotty!
    Backwoods Savage, Thistle and ScotO like this.
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

This was a "yard bird" tree, I called around and no mills would touch it. A guy up the road has this Woodmizer mill, and on the last couple cuts in the main cant, we hit a screw! Only dulled one band blade, it was definitely worth it though. Lots of fantastic wood in that tree. Some of it will be a new kitchen table for our house down the road....
  9. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I would love a table like that. Then I could get rid of the ugly metal and glass one I have.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.