Is chimney liner needed if....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eggbo

Nov 30, 2015
pa.
I have a quick question. We put a wood insert in our old fireplace....it is installed properly but here is the question. Our goal is to burn a fire 2-3 nights a week...not an all night fire...but just to take the dampness our of the room...this will probably last 3 months or so. Do we need to get a liner/installation in the chimney. I can see if we were burning 24x7 but not as sporadic as we plan on. They said it would cost about $1000...any advice?

We put a wood insert in our old fireplace....it is installed properly

What does installed properly mean? There are two accepted and one preferred method(s). The insert or stove must have a positive or sealed connection to the tile liner of the chimney OR a stainless liner from the insert to the top of the existing chimney. The second method is preferred and one of the two methods must be used no matter how often you burn to meet code and for safety.

Without a properly connected liner, I don't know how you could have a proper install. (slammer)
Is it the liner cost alone that is the issue? What is your current chimney type/size? Maybe you could line what you have...

If you have a clay liner, then option 1 above will do, although a full stainless liner is the safest way and code in many states. If you have a very old house with no liner in the old fireplace, no liner is a good way to burn your house down with an insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.