Is double stove pipe required in Mobile homes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPapiPE

Hearth Supporter
I have a mobile home that has had several stick built additions added on to it. For those that don't know the term"stickbuilt" It just means the it is constructed on site with regular 2x4 or 2x6 walls insulated and sided, and roofed just as a regular house would be. Most wooden houses are considered stick built with the exception of a modular home which is built in factory of many different box like parts and transported to the job site and assembled. The stick built portion of my house accounts for about 60% of the total square foot area. I guess i'm still technically a mobile home... So my question is this: do i need doubled walled stove pipe going from the the stove to the HT Chimney pipe.

PS will someone please refresh my memory as to what this double walled stove pipe is called and what is the metal double wall chimney pipe called other than HT(high temperature) chimney pipe.

Also I noticed Simpson Co. is advertising a triple wall chimney pipe these days. Is it the norm for chimneys now and how much extra does it cost? also do most of you people here on the forum buy their pipe online or get it from a stove store?
Thanks everyone

I cannot claim to be 100% up to date, but here is the way I understood it way back when. It was not only the clearances....or not the clearances at all. The original idea was that, as you know, the ceilings and roofs of most earlier mobile homes were built to similar standards as stick - I have seen 2x3 ceiling joists, etc.

So the earlier models required that the entire chimney.....from the stove up - be NOT double wall connector (in fact, this did not even exist back then), but rather double wall chimney. This made the stove into the support for the chimney system.

To differentiate:

HT chimney, also called Class A by some - this is double wall or triple wall, same standard, and is CHIMNEY capable of running up through roofs, through walls
Double wall connector - this is usually black painted and is just a replacement for indoor stove pipe (chimney connector)...not a chimney. It allows closer clearances

So double or triple is OK. As far as mobile homes, if your stove is going in the original section and it is framed differently (weaker) than stick built, I would guess that you must use the Mobile standards given for the particular stove you have purchased (assuming it is tested for same). If it is going in the stick built part, I would guess that regular install would be OK.

I got my Simpson class A chimney pipe from Home Depot last year for around $80 to $90 per 36" section.

Simpson is what I have too. DVL double wall pipe from the stove to the ceiling support, class A from the support though the roof. Good stuff. Whatever brand is chosen, be sure to use the same brand pipe for the entire system.

As for whether or not to use double wall on the interior, it seems that given the conditions described and the concern about clearances, double-wall is certainly the way to go. Tom listed several other good points yesterday.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19428/

Status
Not open for further replies.