Is gas the way to go for this room?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
We live in a colonial. However, when we moved into our home, there was an additional room/space directly behind the garages that, while attached and part of the structure, has nothing above it. Plus it has it's own doors (the room now has 4 different doors because it used to be a work-bench room and then a family room. We knocked down the center/dividing wall so now it's one big family room.

The entire space is also insulated. My brother and I will be putting up 1/4" drywall all around and once that's done it's just a matter of figuring out a heat source.

I was thinking a gas stove might be the cheapest route. Getting the line run/connected is free, no need to pay for/fill a tank like propane, and we just use it when we need to and the rest of the time the room door can be closed and no need to heat it (just like we've done for the past 5 years). I know gas is significantly cheaper than electricity.

A little more info....the plan is, in 2-4 years we will be getting a heat pump. Right now the house has ZERO duct-work, no heat pump...we heat 100% with a wood stove and use window units in the summer. There is radiant heat coils in the ceiling but they are incredibly ineffective and cost a few hundred bucks PER ROOM each month to use...so we don't.

Is natural gas and a free standing stove the cheapest route to go here long term? I'm thinking if we can buy the stove and maybe a vent (instead of the same kind of chimney we used for our wood stove that was astronomically expensive!!)...it would just be a matter of finding a cheap stove. The space is about 10'x8'x20' if that helps. It will also be kinda like a 2nd living room/family room....since we use the room that was supposed to be a formal living room as our family room now. Plus we'll be putting a sleeper sofa in so it can double as another guest room.

EDIT: Also, how many BTU do I need for that space?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Last edited:
If you have an outside wall you can vent a stove through the wall. You could also get a direct vent wall furnace that would be at least as efficient and almost certainly cheaper. Would also take up significantly less floor space than a stove would. Guess it depends on whether you want the visual of a stove flame or not. Some of these are what I'm talking about. http://www.williamscomfortprod.com/product-category/heating-solutions/ (not a brand endorsement; there are other brands out there)

Yes, if you have NG it is without question the lowest-cost way to go.

How cold does the room get when its not heated? A gas stove is going to be slower to heat it up than a forced-air option would.

Coming back to this project...the room is almost finished. It's warm now so I'll have the spring/summer to figure everything out and get it installed.

I did check out the two suggestions but I'd like something that is direct vent/vented with a visible flame.

But I'm seeing the stoves are pretty pricey in the $1000-$3000 range...which was similar to what I paid for my wood stove. Plus my local shop said to figure on $500 for the chimney/vent even though it's just a short pipe inside, one outside with a cap and a thimble.

Suggestions on what to look at with a flame but maybe more budget friendly? Also, any concerns buying used on CL? There seems to be a ton under $500.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Status
Not open for further replies.