Is it legal to put a used wood stove in my house ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

paulmlemay

Oct 30, 2016
Northern California
I live in California. I have a fireplace. I think a decent wood stove burning compressed wood cubes would be much more green than burning wood in my fireplace. My neighbor is selling an older Jotul F8. Of course I'd need to have a flexible stainless stove pipe installed up through my chimney and a cap on top. Does anyone know if this would be legal?

Attachments

• Is it legal to put a used wood stove in my house ?
    jotulf8.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 146
It is legal if you meet all the clearances to combustibles, & your insurance company,
along with the building inspector sign off on it. Then again, that's the way it works
in NY,. Not sure about California.

I live in California. I have a fireplace. I think a decent wood stove burning compressed wood cubes would be much more green than burning wood in my fireplace. My neighbor is selling an older Jotul F8. Of course I'd need to have a flexible stainless stove pipe installed up through my chimney and a cap on top. Does anyone know if this would be legal?

I hear in California you have to to governments approval to sneeze, walk down the road, buy a weapon to protect yourself.... Who knows what California says about putting in a more efficient way to heat your house. Really the best thing is to call a local install company and your local inspector. They can let you know if they have outlawed putting in a “non-compliant” stove. Compliant stove could be whatever they say it is by the way.

let us know what they say. Hopefully you can use the beautiful stove.

The old Jotuls were ok heaters, but not nearly as clean-burning or efficient as their modern stoves. Check with the local inspecting authority to see what is permitted in your area. The closer you live to an urban area the more likely there will be restrictions.

That model is not shown on the EPA Certified stove list. That is the first criteria it must meet for CA, WA and OR.
This is definitely a pre-EPA phase 1 stove. I knew it was not allowed in WA or OR but didn't know if CA had the same restriction.

Yes, those 3 states.
California has required EPA Phase II since 1992.

The California Green Building Standards called CalGreen was adopted Jan 1, 2011.

Some areas such as the Bay Area only allow commercial made pellet use. New construction does not allow any solid fuel burning since 2016; including pellet stoves.

I'm amazed searching counties in CA how many older stoves are still for sale on craigslist. Most are 1980's relics and antiques that can't be sold legally in the state! Little to no enforcement?

Here's an example of a clean burning fireplace insert in the strictest area (SF Bay Area) of the strictest state in the US;

Is it legal to put a used wood stove in my house ?
Viewing this image has been known to cause cancer in the state of California.