Is it normal for paint to start peeling off the inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
I just vacummed out the inside of my new harman the other day and noticed that the paint is peeling off the inside top and side walls above the fire brick.Is this a normal?I havent run the stove real hot!maybe 600+ a few times.

Could it be flakes of creosote burning off? I sometimes have it have it happen that under the griddle and the front sides have some "peeling". I'm certain it's not paint. I'm not sure if it is normal or even healthy for my system, but it's there - usually after a smaller, non-secondary fire.

schortie said:
Could it be flakes of creosote burning off? I sometimes have it have it happen that under the griddle and the front sides have some "peeling". I'm certain it's not paint. I'm not sure if it is normal or even healthy for my system, but it's there - usually after a smaller, non-secondary fire.

Thanks for the reply!It looked like paint chips,but creosote does sound logical.I have no idea if they spray some high temp paint inside to make it look good.

It is creosote. It collects during stove start-ups and at some point dries out and peels. Happens to all of'em. I have never seen a steel stove painted inside from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.