Is it OK to clean and restart your stove before it cools down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stove is not completely cool, and ash is not completely out before 8 hours. Be careful with the vacuum.

I'm not in a hurry to burn my house down. Shut the stove down. When all is quiet, open the door and wait a little bit. If any clumping, that always goes into to a metal bucket on a noncombustible surface. My cast iron burn pot lifts out easily. I use pliers just to make sure I don't get burned. When that is cool to touch, I use my shop vac. and a paint brush. All ash goes to the covered metal can. Later the ash goes to the garden or compost pile. This cleaning is done about every three days. At least a hour shut down, but only a 5 to 10 minute effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.