Is it possible? Downdraft wood stove on a 12' chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
Its still in the planning stages, but my son wants to install a downdraft fireplace insert,with only about 12' of chimney above. Chimney will go in next week. Im worried there will not be enough draft. He mainly wants it for the fireplace look so could always run it in NON-EPA mode which lets the flue gas bypass the re burn chamber. I'm wondering if such a short span of chimney will create the needed draft for a downdraft stove. IF you figure the flue outlet is about 2 feet from the floor ,now you are down to 10' .

Too short if you ask me. Even in the bypass mode he may have problems with draft and creosote build up. Why not extend the chimney?

Todd said:
Too short if you ask me. Even in the bypass mode he may have problems with draft and creosote build up. Why not extend the chimney?

This is a 1 story house ,the chimney will already be 3-4 Ft above the flat roof. Cant really go up too high above the roof.

Most recommend 13-15' minimum height for any chimney.

I agree w/ the others. Too short for any stove. That is so long as you don't want the house smelling like the inside of my kielbasi smoker.

pen

Backwoods Savage said:
What would be the work around here ?Add 6-8' of ss pipe to the top of the chimney with some guy wire to secure it from wind?

Backwoods Savage said:

Your Right on ,I just checked the MFG install manual for the model being considered and it clearly states minimum 15 ' Maximum 33 '
I skimmed over this manual before but did not remember anything about the chimney req.
I dont think i will be too difficult to add 4-5 ' of ss with a cap to the top of the masonary liner.
Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.