is it possible small fire in a big boy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tclapes1

Hearth Supporter
Sep 27, 2009
Madrid
hi again, i have to tell you that i m almost decided on my new stove, i´ve just order it and i was talking even with the dealer. last thing is payment and maby about end of next week i will have it a hom.
im almost decided about f500 but i,ve been thinking about to buy a bigger one, so i have more room(heating ranges) to play with. if i need it i can put in more wood, but if it heats too much maby i can charge with less wood. thats my question.
is it posible???
my hose , is about 2100 sq f,
one thing inportant that is not an square house . its about 59fx19f and in the center of the flat floor there is the stairs that goes up to the next floor, this is just infront of the dinning room where the stove will be allocated.
so.... more cu f means :
much more heating???
or just same heating properties for more time?
f500 is 2 cu while f600 is 3 cu f.
Again, people who has tryed both maby can tell better.
Thanks in advance again

at the end, it fits much wood on bigger one.
if its too hot, you can always stop it adding less wood... :)

It depends on the stove, the room its in and your climate. My large catalytic stove sits in a 1000 sq foot room with 50 ft of glass on a windy ridge. I can throw a couple of splits of pine on top of a small bed of coals and it works well when it is 45F out. But, the stove burns low and is in a big room with a lot of heat loss on a cloudy day. If I were to do the same thing on a sunny day, the house would overheat.

But if one only needs a small fire, like right now, efficiency is meaningless.

I say go bigger.

The F500 is a really nicely designed stove. Although there is a 3 cu ft stove in our 2000 sq ft house, it could be heated very well by the Oslo. As a matter of fact, that was our first choice, but our installation is in a corner and the side-door loading wouldn't work. The F500 seems just about right-sized, especially for Madrid. I realize there can be an occasional cold night, but on average, it doesn't seem to get cold enough there for the serious top end heat of the F600. Remember that a lot of people posting here are located in much colder country. They are sometimes having to heat for weeks of very cold temperatures.

That said, yes, you can build smaller fires, but it can be inefficient and put out more pollution because the stove doesn't get hot enough for good secondary combustion. Instead, we burn 3 split fires that let the stove come up to temperature and then let the fire die out.

well, here. in reallity.. today is 70 outside during day goin gown to 45-50 at 06:00Am. of course today, we have just been outside in t-shirt and in the morning you have to put a jacket on it.
from the end of october/mid november it starts the cold, and, december , january and febreruary, are the coldest days, having to take of ice from my car ouside in the mornning.and during the day it would be arround 20 f and during the day, it would be arround 45-50 mor or less.
do you think the 600 would be too big?, i can´t get wrong with the buy, you know, wife compliants, etc, etc she is convincet that is imposible to heat a house just with one stove....
when i get one or other ill show you som picts from my place and show you the stove chossen.
i even thing that if you have a bigger one, maby you can add more wood inside and then close air entrance to slow down the fire (heart feeling much than heart feeling)
thanks for your answers again

well... in fact. the true is that vendor recomended me the smaller one, and said, that with the big one, maby i would get to much heat where the stove is placed. that would be in the corner of my dinning room.
so that makes me think about the quality vendor that try to recomend better service than more money and he explained very well techniques. at the end, if heat doesn´t go over all the house, ill need to try fans to move air to the rest, when the moment arrives i supose ill post to get the best advice just like now.

Status
Not open for further replies.