1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Is it possible to change this pre-fab?

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by zwiebel, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

Loc:
    Oregon
    Help! I have a Superior xDVR5-CMNS natural gas fireplace. I want to remove to ugly logs and replace them with fireglass. I would remove the current double loop oval shaped burner with a single pipe burner of the same length. Every fire shop says "NO WAY", but that doesn't make sense to me. I am not changing the BTU's or fuel I'm just changing to decorations. Please help me figure out the "real" scoop. I know the manufacturer will say "no" because they didn't test it that way, but I want to know if it is safe. Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. 98dingo

98dingo New Member

Loc:
    Shawano, WI
    You are gonna be hard pressed to find anyone to say that what you want to do is a good idea. And your last line is the reason why. No installer or shop wants to take on the liability of changing a UL tested system. I, as a tech, would strongly advise against modifying a listed unit. Why take the risk? How old is the unit? Maybe you should consider changing it out if its getting up there in age.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.