Is it possible to finish an install on a Liner before installing an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

batmanavich

Sep 11, 2014
Homewood, IL
The fireplace insert I really want to get is out on delivery because Kuma is waiting on parts that won't arrive till the last week of October. I don't want to do my liner install in November.

What I would like to know if it is possible to install the stainless flex liner in the chimney, and finish the "product" without having the stove for a few weeks.

My masonry chimney's inside dimensions are 9x22, and has never been lined. I would need to install an 8" flex liner, which I would pass through a block off plate that I would install by attaching to the remaining portion of the damper (I cut almost all of the BACK of the cast damper out of the fireplace already). Once the liner is installed in the block off plate, I will be pouring a mixture of cement-vermiculite to fill the remaining volume that isn't taken by the liner for insulation. Once all of the insulation is poured, I would let it set for some time. Then I want to pour a crown and do the exterior finish.

Is this possible to do with the insert not in place?

What would be recommended practice for the final portion of liner, and how to pour a crown around it?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Seems like a reasonable plan. Leave the liner long and trim it later when you have the stove.

I would not do it untill you have the insert you may need to pick the liner up to get it attached you may need to push the liner forward or back it just is not a good idea in my opinion. Also make sure you leave enough expansion room around the liner when you pour the crown or it will crack

You bring up good points. Tough call.

I am sure it could be done but it sounds risky to me i wouldn't do it

I am sure it could be done but it sounds risky to me i wouldn't do it

Agree. Maybe doable by a pro who has installed hundreds of liners so far and can anticipate all problems but as a first-timer I would not do it.
Then I want to pour a crown and do the exterior finish.

What you will do is attaching the liner to a top-plate and fix that on top of the chimney. http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/rockford.php?item=NoSagTopPlate After that you put a chimney cap over it. Often you can get everything you need as a kit online.

Agree. Maybe doable by a pro who has installed hundreds of liners so far and can anticipate all problems but as a first-timer I would not do it.

I am a pro who has installed hundreds of liners and because of that i would not do it. You need to move it around allot to get things lined up and its allot easier to move the liner than it is to move the stove.

I'm not a pro but I play one on the Internet. And I agree with bholler. I have installed a few liners and can't imagine not being able to lift it for fitting it to the stove/insert adapter.

Reactions: bholler
I would install the liner, leave plenty out the top, and leave it high inside till you got the stove, then lower and fasten to the stove, then trim the top as needed.
Once set, then pour liner, then pour crown.
This way at least the liner is ready to drop into/onto the stove outlet. You can always cover the top with something to protect everything until the stove comes.
Also better to make/set block off plate after stove set in place and liner connected with a 2pc block off plate. Or fab & install just before dropping the liner down.

Status
Not open for further replies.