Is it Possible

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnymac12

Nov 5, 2015
Otty Lake Ontario Canada
Greetings Wood heat afficianados;

As a newbie to Hearth.com I would welcome any thoughts on the following: recently moved to a home with an old security BIS 1.0 circa 1986....works fine but would like to have a modern day, more efficient insert installed in it's space. A. Is this possible?? and 2. I do not want to remodel the entire hearth to have it happen. Are there small inserts that might be zero tolerance and able to use the existing area....Anyone ever do one of these without tearing the whole thing apart....?? I would appreciate your thoughts
Many thanks

Johnnymac

Is the BIS 1.0 a zero clearance fireplace?

Thanks for the clarification. There's a terminology issue. An insert goes into an existing fireplace. A replacement unit would be a new Zero Clearance (ZC) fireplace. Do you still have the manual listing the BIS 1.0 dimensions?

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. There's a terminology issue. An insert goes into an existing fireplace. A replacement unit would be a new Zero Clearance (ZC) fireplace. Do you still have the manual listing the BIS 1.0 dimensions?
Unfortunately no, I have ordered a screen from New Energy Distributing out of Dyersville Iowa and they have many parts for the BIS 1.0 such as refactory bricks, grates, etc. Maybe they still have a manual around. I will inquire.
Cheers

Johnnymac

Status
Not open for further replies.