Is it time to replace the gasket on my tulikivi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kitch67

Oct 6, 2023
Pacific NW
I bought the house with this, haven’t used it yet. Thinking that the smoke marks above the door are due to an old gasket either inside the door or inside the part of the door that is fixed to the stone (with possibly two flat head screws below). Pretty hard to tell any views?

IMG_7050.jpeg IMG_7051.jpeg

Could be the door gasket. Does it fail the dollar bill test in that location?

Ironically the bill is tight around the door on the right (where the most smoke is on the stone) but then a little more loose (bill comes out with some wiggling) on the left where there is less smoke.

I’m not convinced by the picture that it’s the swinging door gasket. It seems to be coming from behind the front frame??

Anyway did you have the chimney cleaned and inspected?

I like to some 1/4” by 1” flat gastket material in hand. It can be wedged in small places or closed in the door to see if it stops leaks.

Reactions: Todd
yes I had the chimney checked, and the unit all cleaned out. Good to go! getting a little warmer now and we were renovating, so wasnt there day to day. Cant wait to test this bad boy out

Reactions: EbS-P