Is it worth it to blast and re-enamel a VC Resolute?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CindyG

Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2010
Texas Hill Country
I have the opportunity to buy a Vermont Castings Resolute that is about as ugly as can be from surface rust. The owner sounds straight-forward and knowledgeable, and has told me that it is structurally very sound, no cracks or issues (he bought as is for a shop, but is now moving). He is asking $250. I don't know the age, but the enamel color is grey, which I don't believe is made these days. My question is: is this worth purchasing, finding someone to sandblast, and someone to re-enamel? I don't know of the efficiency nor cost of doing either, but I figure that I might get the unit I want, and save around $1000 over price of new. Any suggestions? Thanks much. Will attempt to include photo.

Attachments

• 3n13of3l05Q55P05S0aapbd4918bf9f7e147d.jpg
    3n13of3l05Q55P05S0aapbd4918bf9f7e147d.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 445
Greetings. Nope, I would only get an old stove if it was in primo condition or free. Considering you can get a new stove and a 30% tax credit on it + the cost of installation, I'd say pass for sure.
There are some good affordable solutions under $1000. How large an area are you trying to heat Cindy?

Thank you for your response - I had not remembered the tax credit, and will look into the requirements. We need to heat approx. 1,800 sq ft of a very well insulated strawbale home, so we would likely be fine with a unit that would normally heat up to 1,500 sq ft. In central Tx we typically only need to heat for 3 or 4 months of the year. We want a quality stove that is attractive, as it is in a central part of our home, yet we are on a budget.

Congratulations on the strawbale home. They are quite energy efficient. Do you have back up heat or is the stove it?

Attractive is in the eyes of the beholder, so I am just going to put out some options ok? When the house is cold, lots of warming devices start to look attractive. Also, what is the nearest city? I may need to look up dealers in your area.

Thanks, we are indeed enjoying our home. We do have backup central heat - don't plan to use it though. Nearest two cities are Austin and San Antonio.

For a minimum, a great stove at a great price is the Englander VL17 This may be a good fit because of your milder climate requirements and the good heat retention of the strawbale construction. http://www.overstockstoves.com/50tvl17--epa-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove--1250171200.html . The next larger from this stove would be the 13NC: http://www.overstockstoves.com/50epacenowos.html

If you want a bit dressier, but affordable, the next step up is probably a Napoleon 1100C or a 1400: http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=883, http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=872.

Higher up on the scale, but a nice fit might be a soapstone, cat stove from Woodstock. This is more costly, but is very well made and a good investment for the long term. http://www.woodstove.com/index.php/keystone

Or a cast iron hybrid like the PE Alderlea T4 or T5: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacaldert4.htm

CindyG said:
I have the opportunity to buy a Vermont Castings Resolute that is about as ugly as can be from surface rust. The owner sounds straight-forward and knowledgeable, and has told me that it is structurally very sound, no cracks or issues (he bought as is for a shop, but is now moving). He is asking $250. I don't know the age, but the enamel color is grey, which I don't believe is made these days. My question is: is this worth purchasing, finding someone to sandblast, and someone to re-enamel? I don't know of the efficiency nor cost of doing either, but I figure that I might get the unit I want, and save around $1000 over price of new. Any suggestions? Thanks much. Will attempt to include photo.

It will run you about $150-200 for a model that size to get it blasted. You can get an old, good condition, clean Resolute for that price.

I would pass on this one! $50.00 maybe.....but I would still think about it...

Thank you BeGreen, Diabel and BrowningBar. I will pass on this one and look into the new models suggested. There are not many second hand stoves offered in my area. Now air conditioners, on the othe hand.....

Yeah, I took a look at all the craigslist offerings for wood stoves in your areas. You could see the tumbleweeds blowing through the postings. I did find a nice looking Resolute in MA, but they are asking a ridiculous $1300 for it. This stove sold for $400-500.

Gotta agree with all the previous posters. I have a lot of fondness for that old stove as I grew up with one. However my Dad still uses it and he burns a lot more wood for the less heat output than I get in a epa stove. Lately his damper broke and he had to get a buddy at the welding shop to try and patch it as there are no more parts for the 70s model.

It will only take a couple years to see the payback in wood consumption and fewer cleanings on a modern stove. Not worth the effort for that old girl....

I live in the Houston area. The house is a 1200 sq ft my dad built in the 1960’s. Dad liked the bigger fireplace. I found a Avalon Insert 1190 in Dallas Craigslist and we agreed the price is $1250.00. The sticker says it was made in 2005. That including the insert, the liner and the cap. My chimney sweep installed it for $475.00. We fired up and it heated the whole house (duhh). The outside was in the 40’s and the inside was a little too warm – I had to crack a window. When I get the learning curve right using small fires and/or when the weather really gets cooler here I know I will be very happy.

I have some land, a Poulan saw, a log splitter, and I have a great wife.

Life is good.

Robert

That guy may know his stove, but I would have some doubts about something that looks that abused anyway. If it really is sound, it might make someone a good camp or basement stove but I don't think it really warrants an expensive makeover!

robertmcw said:
I live in the Houston area. The house is a 1200 sq ft my dad built in the 1960’s. Dad liked the bigger fireplace. I found a Avalon Insert 1190 in Dallas Craigslist and we agreed the price is $1250.00. The sticker says it was made in 2005. That including the insert, the liner and the cap. My chimney sweep installed it for $475.00. We fired up and it heated the whole house (duhh). The outside was in the 40’s and the inside was a little too warm – I had to crack a window. When I get the learning curve right using small fires and/or when the weather really gets cooler here I know I will be very happy.

Life is good.

Robert
Congrats! Avalons are good stoves. I just missed a used Lopi Revere insert last year for $1000, then had to spend more than twice that on a new insert, oh well!

robertmcw said:

Life is good.

Robert

Since I got in Dallas (I live in Houston) if it was not a good unit, I would had been the looser. He said it was a good unit before we installed it BUT before I got it. I know that you get the tax break, but you don’t have the $4,000.00 - $5,000.00 to give the $1,500.00 tax dollars, you are better getting used. I was lucky. If I would do again, I would have the chimney sweep check it first.

tickbitty said:
That guy may know his stove, but I would have some doubts about something that looks that abused anyway. If it really is sound, it might make someone a good camp or basement stove but I don't think it really warrants an expensive makeover!

+1 . . . definitely take a pass on this one.

firefighterjake said:
tickbitty said:
+1 . . . definitely take a pass on this one.

Agree with my neighbor. A wood stove will be a major appliance in your home....don't go cheap on this. Figure the cost/year over time what even a $2500. stove will amortize. With the soon to expire "tax credit" the net cost will be less than the stove price. Don't forget the costs of installation: usually equal to the stove cost. Hey, you could even buy a $8000. super duper Euro model...in color and 99% efficient ! :lol:

The Resolute was not one of better stoves made and engineered by the real Vermont Castings Corp. from Vermont. There were many many problems with the stove; so serious that when VC was sold, 1000's of the Resolutes were shipped 'south' to dealers ( Virginia, Texas, B.C., Washington, etc...) where heating demands were not as high as up north. Not exactly an ethical policy. The WebMaster may know more details.

You'll get many recommendations here and in the ratings files for the stove that satisfies you. Visit dealers and play around with the controls. Ask them for users' experiences and any problems.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.