is my chimney leaking or do I need a different cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pellet stove- with a standard type pipe used for pellet stoves. I have a cap on the chimney, but here we have strong winds. I don't know if the cap isn't 'big enough', or there is really a leak. There is a small amount of water that drips only when it rains hard- it is coming from the large 'decorative' square piece where the chimney goes through the roof.
I didn't see any larger caps at the store. I can't imagine the cao stopping any rain.
Are there any large caps? Our winds come from all directions, so the ones that are for a wind that comes from the same direction wouldn't help.
tia

ilmbg said:
I have a pellet stove- with a standard type pipe used for pellet stoves. I have a cap on the chimney, but here we have strong winds. I don't know if the cap isn't 'big enough', or there is really a leak. There is a small amount of water that drips only when it rains hard- it is coming from the large 'decorative' square piece where the chimney goes through the roof.
I didn't see any larger caps at the store. I can't imagine the cao stopping any rain.
Are there any large caps? Our winds come from all directions, so the ones that are for a wind that comes from the same direction wouldn't help.
tia

If you're getting water on the OUTSIDE of the pipe, it's probably NOT the cap.
It's either the flashing or the storm collar.
My guess would be the Storm Collar,
Take a look to see if the silicone sealing the collar is adjacent to the vent is still there - IF it ever WAS there...
Also, take a look UNDER the storm collar to see if the installer sealed the flashing to the vent with silicone.
& if the storm collar is making contact with the flashing...
Let us know what you find...

I don't have a pellet stove so I don't know your chimney type. But since the water is not coming down the inside of the chimney (evidence of rain blowing into the cap covered area), but is coming down the outside of the chimney and into the ceiling area, a focus of possible leakage is the seam in the exterior chimney pipe. Clean the seam and apply silicon caulk at all seam points and see if that stops the problem. It did for me on our wood stove chimney. A second focus point would be the storm collar.

Status
Not open for further replies.