Is my figuring right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaton

Aug 22, 2011
Hastings, Michigan
If my storage is 840 gallons, and all 840 are at 180 degrees, thats 1,261,008 btu's stored, (840 x 8.34 x 180). If I use storage down to 120 degrees that would be 420,300 btu's, (840 x 8.34 x 60), and at 35 kbtu p/h design load that would be 12 hours useage from storage, right? Doesn't seem that long when I'm reading 16-20 hours from others, and I don't feel my house heats hard. Or because I'm using "Design" load, that would be a minimum time, since design is supposed to be worse case?

The calculated heat load is based on the indoor temperature and the design temperature for outdoors. ( -10F in your area ?)
Any time it is not that cold, your heat load is going to be a fair bit less and the storage run time would be longer.
As you mention in your post, it is the minimum time.

If you can get by with 120::F supply at design temp, you should or could get by with a bit lower supply temps during avg outdoor temps. This is where outdoor reset control of supply temps is really nice.
I routinely run my storage down to the mid 90's ::F during shoulder season and milder temps. A dumb valve and bang bang controls will certainly get the job done though.

Noah

Status
Not open for further replies.